Chapter 8: Shattered Tears

Sal's Pov tw slurs
The words came out strong to everyone else, but to me they dribbled out of my mouth, full of anxiety. I watched as  Ash's face was stunned completely, a hint of fear in her eyes. She was always in control and         
seeing me fully stand up for myself-with no one behind me-, fully shocked her.
"I KNEW IT! YOU WERE CHEATING ON ME WITH THIS FAGGOT! I CAN'T BELIEVE-ACTUALLY I CAN BELIEVE YOU WOULD LET SOMEONE JUST COMPLETELY RUIN OUR MARRIAGE IN A FEW DAMN DAYS! THIS IS SO LIKE YOU SAL!"
I didn't know how to respond and almost started to tremble but then there he was, sticking up for me, Travis.
"Ashley, you have mentioned that word for the last damn time.  IT HAS MORE MEANING THAN JUST ANOTHER CURSE WORD! AND THE FACT THAT YOU JUST WERE WILLING TO ASSUME SAL WAS CHEATING BECAUSE HE IS TIRED OF YOUR BULLSHIT SHOWS HOW FULL OF YOURSELF YOU ARE! YOU CANT EVEN PUT YOURSELF AT FAULT!"
As he spoke, I felt a heavy burden lift off my shoulders. Everything was gone. I know this wasn't over and I would have to deal with her again, but in this moment, I didn't care. I didn't care enough to pay attention to Ash's words and zoned out as they continued to argue. But my daze was broken as I saw a tall, midsized, black woman with gorgeous, familiar locks of blonde hair, and a familiar pattern of splattered freckles.
"DO NOT SPEAK TO MY SON LIKE THAT YOU FILTHY BITCH!"
"THIS LITTLE WHORE IS YOUR SON? GO FIGURE THAT THE DIVORCED SINGLE MOM RAISED A GOOD-FOR-NOTHING GAY SLUT!"
I finally connected the dots, the was Travis' mother. She quickly responded to all of Ashley's insults, startling her because she's not used to people standing up to her. The arguing only stopped when Ash smacked Mrs. Phelps. Though Travis was about to beat the fuck out of her, his mom seemed to dismiss it, knowing it's not right to hit a woman. With all this going on I didn't even notice I didn't have my mask with me. Great. 2 people today have seen what a freakshow I am. Before I know it, I'm crying. I ran inside of my old apartment, snatching my mask and quickly putting it on. I glanced around the room, the room I have been abused in, the bare, hate filled room. Stumbling, I made it out of the house to find Ash knocked out cold, with travis talking to his mom in a hushed voice, as if she's calming him down. He sees me, and rushes to hug me, trying to see if I'm okay.
      "Sal, I'm sorry for not covering your face, but trust me! My mother would never judge you for this"
God damn it. He saw me crying, again. All I could do was squeeze him, needing the comfort. I didn't wanna be babied or treated as an upset child. That's the way Ash always treated me. As a helpless kid who needed rules and punishment. I don't know how, but Travis understood without me saying a word. He led me inside of his apartment, his mother following behind me. I sat on his floor, tucking my knees up to my head. Travis brought me some water and sat next to me, not saying a word. I let my knees drop and let my legs lay outstretched in front of me.
Mrs. Phelps sat to my other side, caressing my hair. I didn't want Travis to treat me as a child but the motherly feeling she gave me was much needed.  Growing up without my mom gave me this sense of wanting a mother figure constantly. I just started to cry, leaning into her touch. Travis held my hand and squeezed it lightly, letting me know he was here for me. His mom undid one of my pigtails and fingerbrushed through it. She was so gentle with it, light tugs were all I could feel. I felt so loved and cared for, my tears dried up quickly. As thoughts and scenarios raced through my mind, I made a decision. I took off my mask slowly and gave her a full look of my face, the worst part about me. She was shocked. They always are.
Mrs. Phelps Pov
I Stared at this man's face, who I finally figured out is named Sal. I stare intently at his features. On the left side his teeth showing through a chunk of his cheek and jaw that were missing, his cut up nose, a hole in his eyesocket with tight red-scarred skin around it. But on the right, he had a gorgeous blue eye with a shiny twinkle in it, tough thin lips, light little freckles danced across his cheek, and absolutely beautiful blue lashes, with a shiny eyebrow peircing. He isn't ugly, despite all of his features. I traced his face gently and gave him a warm smile. I glanced over at my son, head over heels staring at Sal. I know my son is a homosexual, and I fully support him for it, but now is not the time to be mooning over another boy. I don't question about the woman in the hallway, knowing it's his wife. But I'm still curious about what she's done, and why she was so upset with my son. I ignored it the best I could, and silently comforted Sal. He smiled with his teeth, even the ones you could see through the jaw completely pulled his smile together. His eyes squinting slightly. I pressed a small kiss on his forehead, leaving a lipstick stain and he laughed. He seemed so much more cheerful.