Chapter 18

'I almost fell for that one'

Kenzo had intentionally brought up the topic of the tailed beast to probe Renji's reaction.

It was one thing for a child to be promoted to chunin at the age of five and it was another thing entirely for that child to be aware of national secrets.

Luckily Renji was able to avoid the trap even if it was just barely.

"Now it's my turn to ask questions"

The five year old reminded

"Ask away"

Kenzo seemed to be unperturbed

"Why are you here?"

"I'm part of a Kumogakure delegate to kusagakure"

"Delegate?"

"Yeah, we're supposed to help this village resolve it's internal disputes since we recently became allies"

Kenzo paused with his riveted gaze scanning Renji for any reactions before he continued to speak.

"There are two opposing factions with equal authority in this village and our goal is to unite them"

Kusagakure was split into two factions, the Truth faction and the flower faction. The former was obsessed with bringing kusagakure back to it's previous glory while the latter were peace loving and opposed to war.

Renji understood all this but what he couldn't wrap his head around was why Kumogakure was so interested in settling their disputes.

'This never happened in the anime, or did it? I'm so confused'

"You looked confused"

"I'm not!"

Renji denied before continuing to speak.

"How many of you are here?"

"Oh, unlike your village mine actually sent a full squad of shinobi"

The younger of the two thought for a moment before asking another question

"You said that you're supposed to unite the two opposing factions"

"Yes I did say that"

"How exactly do you people intend on accomplishing –that?"

Kenzo's smile dimmed a bit but it quickly regained it's luster and the blonde gave a seemingly sincere reply

"I'm not too clear on the details but it mainly involves pressure through means like dialogue"

"How can it be possible that you aren't clear on the details. Isn't this your mission?"

"Hey I'm not the squad leader, Kumogakure follows a rather different set of protocols when it comes to ... sensitive missions"

Renji nodded his head. He had gained some valuable piece of information today.

He was about to ask another question when all of a sudden Kenzo intensified his gaze at the doorway and shouted.

"Who's there?!"

Renji quickly reacted and dashed towards the door but when he reached it ... nothing looked to be out of place.

He cast a suspicious gaze back at Kenzo but the blonde just chuckled softly before speaking

"I thought I saw someone there, must've been my imagination"

"Riiiiight, I'll be heading out now"

"Wait Ren–Tsukasa!"

"What"