Four

December 30th, 2021

Cory's pov

I had my daughter Amari over for New year's eve and hopefully was expecting Zanisha as well.

She had been letting me have Amari a lot more than usual to the point almost every day, Amari was with me.

I wonder what she's been up too.

I then get a call from Nisha and I answer it. "hello"

"Hey Cory what are you two doing" she said in a very excited tone.

"Nothing, Amari is just... well being Amari"

"Ohh well I wanted to ask if I could come over there for New Year's eve"

I was very excited to hear that, she wanted to spend time with us maybe she still.... no I'm getting to ahead of myself.

"Yeah, we're gonna be making cookies and hot chocolate"

"Wow that sounds great! I also wanted to say that I'm bringing someone"

"Oh are you bringing Vera and Kiana? because I know Amari would love that"

"No Vera and Kiana are gonna be in Alaska with her boyfriend, and speaking of boyfriends.... I'm bringing my boyfriend Meech"

I was a little taken back by that, "she has a boyfriend? that explains why she was letting me Amari so much... the new shoes and jewelry... the fancy clothes she started to wear.... the sudden fancy vacation to Miami.... because of him" "Cory are you still there?" she said into the phone snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Y-Yeah I'm sorry I was zoning out, your boyfriend Meech is coming for New Year's?"

"Yeah we've been dating for four months now and I think it's time for him to meet you and Amari... if that's okay with you?"

"Sure ha... why wouldn't it be?" I said nervously.

"Okay how about tomorrow at 6?"

"Six is fine, so tell me more about this umm Meech guy"

"Ohh I'll tell you about him in person, I gotta go so tell Amari I love her bye" she hung up the phone before I could say anything.

"Meech, Meech, Meech hmm what a weird name" I thought. I then went to see what Amari was doing and apparently she found the leftover chicken in the fridge and ate it all and fell asleep at the crime scene.

I laughed to myself "Yep you're my kid alright" I said as I picked her up and cleaned  the chicken grease off her face.

It was around eleven  when I found myself editing a video. Amari was in my lap laughing at her youtube videos. "She's so adorable... she reminds me a lot like her mother" I thought to myself.

By the time I had finished the video, Amari had fallen asleep in my lap.

I put her bed at around 12:34 and gave her a little forehead kiss with her favorite teddy bear.

I found myself looking at some of my old photos in my phone and scrolled all the way to 2017.

I saw the graduation photos I had taken with Zanisha and thought back to the day I had fallen in love with her. She still looks the same as that particular day and even still smelled the same.

"I guess Meech is the lucky one" I sighed to myself.

"For now"

December 31st, 2021

Cory's pov

I was at the grocery store shopping for some New Year's eve supplies. I decided to get Zanisha's favorite cookies which were the sugar cookies with the icing. It was around 5 o' clock so I knew I had to set up back at home so I paid for the stuff and left. I put up all the balloons, New Year's Eve decorations, made some black eyed peas with a side of white rice, cornbread, cabbage, and some fried shrimp. I then got a knock at the door and went to go open it.