Chapter Three: Volkvony

Isa steps out of the room, changed into a pair of trousers and a button up top. The boy standing outside, waiting, holds out a hat for her.

"Your red hair stands out," he informs her. "Even in the Barrel."

"Thanks," she responds, stuffing her hair up into the hat. She reaches into her pocket and pull out a couple kruges. "This is our little secret. Maybe one day you'll be able to get out of here."

He accepts the money. "Don't hold your breath."

For a boy about Wylan's age, he's very serious. Though she doesn't know what he may have gone through. The boy motions for her to follow, shoving his hands into his pockets. The walk down the halls of the shabby building before he opens the door. The older man from before, Per Haskell apparently, is sitting behind a desk.

"Miss Hendricks," he greets her. He motions with his hand, and the boy leaves. "I have high expectation of Kaz in the future." He looks her up and down. "Quick glance, I would think you were a boy passing by."

Exactly as she planned. She had used some fabric torn from the inside of her dress to wrap around her chest. She was even going to find a knife or scissors to cut off her hair if the boy hadn't provided a hat.

"Odd choice to call your favor in for," Per Haskell states.

"I need to get out of the city. Especially without being stopped by the stadwatch."

"Did you do something illegal?"

She leans against the wall, smirking.

"Pissed off a merchant. Plus got a better deal than he was offering."

"Merchant? Possibly your uncle?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "Well I don't plan on returning any time soon."

"So you decided to bring the stadwatch to my door in the process."

"They didn't know I went here and I'll be leading them away." 

She turns to leave, fingers gripping the handle, when the gang leader says, "You're just like your mother."

A soft smile grows on her face. She faces the old man at the desk.

"That's good to hear. Cause she would've kicked my ass for half the shit I pulled tonight."

Haskell chuckles at this as Isa leaves. She hurries out of the building, eyes focused on her. Even dressed like the others, she feels she still sticks out. But best to not hesitate on that. She hurries through the Barrel and out into the streets. She keeps walking through the city, though most seem to look past her. She even just casually strolls through the streets. One of the members of the stadwatch stops her. Her heart starts picking up.

"Have you seen a redhead woman come through here, boy?" he asks. Isa shakes her head. "If you see her, find one of us."

She nods her head. The slight movement causes her hat to start to slip slightly. Shit. This could end poorly if she does that again. She waves at the stadwatch before slipping through. The wind picks up, knocking the hat off her head. Her red curls fall in her face.

"Don't run!" the officer orders. "Or we'll shoot."

"We're suppose to bring her alive," his partner states.

"She didn't need to know that!"

She looks between them, quickly formulating a plan as they turn towards her. Though it's basic and most likely will fail. But oh well.

"Well see ya," she smiles, saluting. Isa quickly ducks between them and take off towards the dock she needs. The shrill screech of whistle blow as the officers follow her. Isa's feet slams against the paver ground as she keeps running. The smell of salt soon stinging her nose as she starts to get ahead of the officers. That's when she spots a familiar redhead standing on the plank of wood leading towards the ship.