Chapter Six: Alina Starkov

Isa watches as the Darkling carries the body of an unconscious girl and his accompanying group of Grishas drag a boy in chains on board. The Darkling lock eyes with the red head before he takes the girl below deck. She turns, leaning her back against the railing and crossing her arms. Sturmhond is at the helm, watching as well.

"This is wrong," she quietly tells him. 

"I know," he responds under his breath. "But we need to keep up appearances." He moves next to Isa, before raising his voice. "Prepare to set sail!"

"Where to, Captain?" she asks.

"Once we're out to sea, we'll probably know."

"Yes sir."

The crew start moving about, working to prepare the ship to sail. Isa moves to the steering wheel as Sturmhond walks down the stairs. Tolya walks over.

"We'll keep an eye on her," he says in a low voice."

"I know you will," she practically whispers back. "I trust you."

Sturmhond makes a motion and Isa goes to focus on guiding the ship out of the harbor. It's not too bad since most of the ships are already docked. The Darkling's Grisha's are scattered about. A few in blue keftas summon winds, filling the sails. Soon, they are able to get out to sea.

~~~

Everyday Isa watches as the Darkling parades the Sun Summoner, Alina as Isa has come to learn, around. A way to keep the man she was with in line. His name is apparently Mal and is an excellent tracker. For some reason, the Darkling is convinced Mal's capable of tracking some mythical creature in the sea. But it feels they have been sailing around aimlessly towards the north. The Rusalye probably doesn't exist.

Ice is starting to float past and everyone can see their breaths. Everyone is gathered around to find some sense of warmth. Isa grabs a wool blanket from the sleeping area and head towards the captain's quarters on this ship. As her hand reaches for the handle, the door swings open. Standing before her is a stunning woman with bright red hair. Isa had always thought her hair was bright, but this woman's out did her. She has on a red kefta with purple detailing. A Corporalki based off the red, though she can't tell which type.

"Can I help you?" she asks. It looked like she had been crying. Her eyes are puffy and red. And yet she's still breath taking.

"I came to bring Alina an extra blanket," Isa responds, holding it up as proof. The woman opens the door wider and Isa steps in. Sitting in a chair is Alina Starkov. Her brown hair falls at her shoulders and she looks worn. She has to be around Isa's age. A necklace made of antlers rests on her collar. An amplifier to increase her powers most likely. The twins and a few other Grishas have them also.

"Thank you," Alina weakly smiles. Her eyes locks onto the red head in a kefta. "You can leave, Genya."

Genya looks heartbroken at the comment, but still leaves. Alina stands up and gladly accepts the blanket.

"I notice you never interact with those outside your crew," Alina ponders. 

"Never need to," she responds. "However, I figured you'd be cold."

"Thank you." She holds out a hand. "Alina."

The red head shakes her hand.

"Isa."

Alina looks towards the open door.

"You need to convince your captain to turn against the Darkling," she quietly pleads. "He is not a good person. He created the Fold."

Impossible. The Fold, a wall of darkness with creatures roaming around, was created centuries ago. Though Grishas can live for a long time, none are known to have lived that long.