Chapter 37: From the Shadows

Ryan Tempester POV

It took me so much of my own willpower to even keep up with the stench this stupid tunnel exerted at me. 

It was a miracle that I even survived my first visit in the sewers, but this was just torture. I'm amazed Alex and Sam can even survive this smell. I absolutely hated it. 

"Well, we're here."

Alex stopped in front of a more secluded tunnel which was obscure and hard to discover. It looked narrow so it looks like we would have to go in one by one. 

Alex lit a flame in the palm of his hand. 

He was an Orange Core, just like me and Sam. His ability was similar to Jake's, although the color of his flames was blue. He lit the top of his finger and guided our way. 

I followed suit, and Sam squeezed into the gap just barely with me. The path went on for a while until we exited into a hallway that was pitch black and all we could see was Alex's flame. 

Alex's eyes then glowed and he chanted, 'Blue Prominence'. 

He then exerted a huge burst of blue flames which opened up a white hallway with pillars pushing up to the ceiling. It was large and very open. 

"Wow."

The place lit up like it was a church, it was so divine, and most likely had been founded back during the early days of Oskax, when Dragos was only just being built. 

"It's a very old place, the Elder Council wouldn't know of it. It's something only us, the Fulcrum's, know as a family. Consider it a family secret."

"Well this is a pretty big secret, are you sure us commoners should behold something as holy as this."

Sam nudged me. "This coming from the son of a holy being called a god?"

I chuckled. "Good point."

"Come now, the Palace should be down this way if I remember my way. I don't think it will be easy to get back though, let's hope the distraction actually worked."

Alex had a bit of hesitation in his head, he probably worried if his plan had truly worked out and was hoping it would go well. Even I felt a bit uneasy, as if this plan would go down the drain if we didn't succeed. 

We kept walking down the corridor, and to me it seemed like it kept going, like it was never ending and would continue going down. 

As I passed, I noticed these scriptures above on the wall. "Hey Sam."

Sam noticed me looking and gazed as well. "It reads... an ancient language I have no idea on."

"My father told me what it means back when he took me here."

"Well what does it say?"

"He wasn't able to fully translate them, but back during the days of my ancestors, because of the wreckage of the Great War at the time, the people decided to turn their faith to the Gods."

Gods huh? Nowadays, you'd occasionally see some practitioners that worshipped the Gods, the same ones I share a relation to.  But the times of the Divine Church were no more, instead people began to not believe the gods existed. A lot of them turned to a life of atheism, the belief in nothing. 

I never really believed in the existence of gods, but I always wanted to believe there was something out there protecting me, and something worth praying to in the worst hours or times. That's how I felt. Ever since finding out I was a Demigod, I didn't really change anything. 

I felt... conflicted, almost confused what I should believe in. 

"Our ancestors were said to have been messengers of the gods, and the people back then believed it, hence why the Fulcrum's were able to ascend to their place as rulers of the country of Oskax. But nowadays, nobody remembers that ever happening."