Chapter 118: Our Fight

[An hour earlier...]

"Wait... he's gone?"

As Ryder was the first to wake up, he found himself on the bed but for some reason, the pain in his body was gone. He felt as though the injuries he sustained from his fight with Gray had all but faded. He was as fit as he was before.

But the scars along his body had remained. But it was something he could handle.

Once he woke up, Rei was quick to ask how he was feeling. And shortly after that, Anna had arrived in their medical tent. Although her face had given Ryder the indication that Ryan did something stupid again, which was something he was used to.

Ryder rubbed his head but winced a little since he was still slightly sensitive there.

"Why does he always do this, for fucks sake. And worst of all, you let him go."

Anna shrugged. "Why else did I come here. Considering you're in good shape, you can go after him at this rate."

Ryder wanted to reply but he paused.

He asked himself if he even had the right to continue fighting. But then, he realized that he had to keep going. Because in the end, he had to fight. And not just for himself, but for those he cared about.

He tried to understand Gray, but he wasn't able to. So his reasoning was simple. He had to show that he wasn't just full of empty promises, he had to prove that he was fighting for a worthy cause.

"Alright... but I shouldn't be the one alone."

"Mmmmm...."

Ryder turned his head to see Sam open her right eye. "Well seems like I'm not alone then..."

Sam pressed her head, noticing the amount of bandages wrapped around her. "What the... oh right..."

As she looked around, she started to remember. Then, she quickly lifted up her shirt to show a huge gash along her abdomen. She was shocked that the wound closed, her eyes widening.

"It really happened huh..."

Anna sighed. "Well I think you two are good to go so you might want to catch up before Ryan gets too far."

Anna left the tent. As Ryder got off from his bed, he went to grab his jacket. He turned around and noticed Sam taking off her shirt.

"H-HEY!"

Ryder yelled quickly as he was caught off guard.

Sam turned slowly, her eyes tired. "Oh right... sorry..."

Ryder started to grow concerned.

"Sam... is everything okay?"

As she paused, she looked down, averting her eyes from his gaze. "I don't know.."

Ryder looked wary, as if he knew that Sam was not acting right. She was quieter, and had a solemn tone to her voice. A tone that meant that her will to go on had shortened over time.

"I wasn't good enough and it cost me, even though I made these big promises about protecting those I cared about. Pathetic am I right?"

Ryder realized she was feeling the same way he was. A state of helplessness, and for some reason, a mindset that she wasn't able to do anything. Something she hadn't felt since over a year ago.

"I don't know how much I need to say this, but you aren't pathetic. Seems that's the one thing you and Ryan share in common."

Sam had put her shirt back on and after Ryder said that, she was astonished. "Well when you put it like that-"