The Bear

"Send a few men to distract the creature! The others will prepare the horses to leave." Rain beats harder as I hurry away from the fight. "Where is her tent!?" My vision is clouded as I search and finally find it near trees.

She jumps as I enter. "Captain!? What's wrong?" She hurries toward me, and I hold her shoulders.

"Take down your tent and follow the men out." Of course, she passes by me instead of listening, curious about what could be happening. "Elvira, you need to listen to me." I follow her outside. We watch as men rush by, and there's another loud growl. In the distance, I see my men with their swords drawn, but what they swing at is hidden in the dark.

"What is that?" She pulls from me once more and runs forward. I follow after her, groaning at her reckless behavior.

"It's a bear!"

"That's no bear! Just look at the size of it. One of those otherwordly beasts." There are yells as it fights back, and the rising sun peaks from the dark sky, shining off the sharp claws that begin to swipe downward. I look from it to see her standing in the way.

"What are you doing!" She hits my chest and scrambles to back away as I hold her tighter. "You're going to get yourself killed."

"Let me go! I can help." Just as the words leave her mouth, there is a pained groan from the bear, and we turn to see a sword plunged deep into its back.

"We got it now!"

"NO!" As she pulls away, she hurries through the group of men. Putting her back to the animal, she stands in front of the tips of the blades.

"Move it, Witch. Just like a monster to protect another."

"Get away from her!"

"I said Move!" I hurry and grab the blade as it's brought down. My men are quiet as the rain pushes the blood from my hand down the sharp silver.

"Lower your swords."

"Captain... That monster—"
They looked shocked. I move the blade forward. Eventually, they comply, and I turn to Elvira as she opens one and then both eyes. She seems relieved until she sees my hand. There's another quiet groan, and she turns in a hurry. The animal bares its teeth momentarily until she kneels next to it and begins to whisper.

Gradually, it gets louder until I realize what she is doing. "She's... She is chanting. Using magic!" My men shout, and I watch as they raise their weapons.

"Keep them down!" I growl and step towards her. "This is how you've been using magic? How could I have been so... Dense. This whole time, you have been able to use Vocal magic?"

She turns to me, angry. "Does that matter now? I need to save her. My hands, I need them!"

"This whole time, you've been capable of this...:" I look down at her bloody hands. She pushes them forward once more.

"Captain, she needs me!" Her eyes plead with me. I look away and find my men looking on, confused. I listen as she turns in anger and continues to chant. "I can save you." Her voice cracks, and I look down at the determined woman. Then, to the blade in the bear.

It rumbles in anger as I pull out the sword. I turn to her, and she looks like she wants to tear off my head. "It won't heal with the blade still in her." Gently, I take the cuffs and listen as the key turns and clicks. They fall into my hand as she stares for a moment longer.

"Thank you..." She turns and begins to chant once more. A brilliant light shines forth, and we watch as the wounds heal. It warms us all, and the downpour of rain even ceases. "I have to stay here. To make sure it worked." The bear welcomes her as she leans against it and shuts her eyes.

We leave her to rest, and I often catch my men muttering things about her, but they stop as soon as I come by. "We should leave by this afternoon to stay on schedule." Remus follows my gaze, and I nod. After a few more hours, I head back to her. She stares at her hands, covered in the bears' blood.

"Here." I hold out a cloth I use to clean my blade with. When she doesn't move to grab it, I reach forward and begin to wipe her hands clean.

"I don't need you to—" She looks up at me, and as she pulls back, I do the same. "How's your hand?"

"It was a small cut. Hardly felt it." I remember Remus yelling at me while stitching the wound.

"Small? Thank you for that and the bear. She didn't mean to wander into camp. She was looking for her cubs. The river swept them down this way when the storm picked up."

We stay quiet as, at last, her hands are cleaner than before. "You've got an hour to rest. I will watch her." For a moment, she continues to sit. "I'll get you if anything changes."

"Okay..." I watch as she leaves, looking back a few times but only stopping once she reaches her tent.

It takes a little longer, but she emerges again and takes down her tent. Remus helps her, and I remember that he also helped her put it up. "They seem close...." I whisper, but the bear grunts and lifts its massive head. Looking toward them. "You can't understand me, right?"

Once more, it grunts, and I follow its gaze. Watching as she smiles as he helps. How he seems to relax around her. The time in the stables when I caught them chatting, and he laughed. He hasn't laughed like that in years.

"Captain?" Startled out of my thoughts, I notice someone calling for me. "Are you alright? I've been calling you for a while."

"I'm fine."

"Oh... Well, here are the cuffs." I reach out and grab them just as they approach. The feeling of anger fades as she reaches her hands forward.

"How are you feeling?" Those large eyes widen more at the question. At first, she stutters to speak and clears her throat.

"Much better. Thank you for watching her." I stare at her wrists and then at the cuffs. "Did you forget how to put them on?"

"I thought that these wouldn't do much now that we know you are also skilled in vocal magic." I slide the cuffs into my bag. "I don't have a choker, and if I were to gag you, then you would look like our prisoner."

"If it makes them feel safe." She turns and looks at the men, who glare with discomfort.

"No, if I am being honest, I don't think I would put it on even if I did have one." She seems at a loss for words. "For now on, you will travel without these, but no magic unless permitted. If any man here wants to challenge my order, they are welcome to."

"I won't give them a reason to. You can trust me."

"I suppose this is a good start."

"I thought saving your life from a poisonous arrow was a good start?"

"It did. Then you slapped me." She looks down at her hand, and I notice she picks at her thumbnail.

"I still haven't apologized for that... Just for the slap, though. I spoke out of line. You lost friends and family. I had no right." Before I can also apologize, the bear stands, and we hear cries from the forest as two cubs emerge from the trees. We watch together as the mother nuzzles her cubs. She turns to us and roars rather loudly. "Goodbye to you as well!" Elvira yells.

"We should be doing the same." She follows me as I walk back to the camp. After informing my men of the cuffs, a few want to object but keep their mouths shut. We load up once more and journey toward the bridge. Remus walks by her, and the feeling returns, twisting my stomach. I shake away the thoughts and focus on the path ahead.