Changes

"There he is!" I look up at my men, who gather around lamps. "We were just planning to look for you now."

They begin to circle me as Remus pushes through them. He looks for her. Only to be surprised when she lies asleep in my arms. I feel my teeth tighten together. "Go to any exits within the town. Find a man with black hair and golden eyes. I want him found!" The men still seem shocked before I step forward, my face scrunches in anger. "An order."

"What happened?" Remus, at last, asks as he follows me inside. I lie her on the bed in the room I previously slept in. As she snores quietly, I gently brush a strand of white from her face. Seeming happy with this improvement, she turns with a sigh and curls into my cloak. I think back to the darkness that covered her just moments ago.

Sleeping so softly... Like this, she looks different. Angelic. My gaze lingers a little longer before I shake my head. Finally, I turn to Remus and Anlia, who stand next to him quietly.

"It happened again." I pause to let my eyes drift to her as he lets out a soft sound. "This time, though, it was worse. Bandits attacked her, the one from the alleyway in Avinar. He said she worked for him and was...." I step out of the dark room. "For now, let her rest. Anlia, do you have a change of clothing? I could pay you for them."

"No need for that, Cal. I think I have an old dress that may fit her." She leaves, and Remus follows me down the stairs.

"You're injured." He points to my neck. Where the small wound has dried. I sit as he prepares to treat it. "Is she? I couldn't help but notice the blood...?"

"No, we were lucky this came from the engagement." He finishes by wrapping a cloth around my neck. Just as some of my men begin to return. We sit looking over a map on the table as dinner is served.

"It put us a day behind. We are already reaching the end of Itin. If we didn't have to bring the witch, we could have completed this mission by now." Jyn sighs as the others sip quietly at tea.

"She saved my life." I scowl into the cup. "As long as she is in my company, I won't leave her behind."

"Just last month, you were the one who found her when she ran. You brought her back to be executed." This makes me angrier than usual. I clench my jaw as he laughs. "Now you defend her as if she were a saint. I thought you—" I grab his shirt tightly from across the table. The sound of cups falling is all that's heard as the rest of my men look at me.

"Of course I remember, and I do not need you to tell me." He trembles lightly as I release him. With a nod, he fixes his shirt. "As for Gelidity season, we will return here after rescuing Ophelia. Get properly outfitted, and hurry back to Avinar. It wouldn't be a first for us to travel in Zidall. After all, it is the shortest of months. We should arrive just before the first of the new year."

"We will have to travel as much during the daylight. Without the moon's light, we are asking to be attacked." Remus taps the table. "Not to mention we would freeze. Fifty days out in that weather—"

"We have done it before. Now, any more questions?" They shake their heads quickly. I dismiss them, and they find their sleeping areas.

"Should I wake her for dinner?"

I turn to Remus, who looks up the stairs at my room. "Let her sleep. If she wakes, she can eat the stew that remains." He nods and leaves as well, going to clean up from dinner.

I lay my head on the table and get some rest until there is a shake on my shoulder. It's darker in the room, and a dim candle illuminates Remus. His dark eyes bore into me. "Captain, you can use my bed. I've rested enough. Let me wait for the rest of the men to return."