Gone

"Uhm... Captain?" Dim light hits my eyes from out the window. I can see that the sun has barely reached the horizon. I open the door, about to yell, when the men stare at me with a glint of uneasiness.

"What do you mean she is gone?!" I run down the rickety stairs and pull back every door in the house before sliding my cloak over my shoulders. We spread out around the house, looking for her. "Remus?"

"I awoke to prepare breakfast. I only learned about her a bit before you." I turn to the others, and they shrug.

"Do you think she really ran this time?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. After all, she is close enough to Aneta, her home."

The men continue to speak of her leaving while I search. There is no distress, and her travel gear remains where she rested. "She wouldn't have left—"

"No, you are right. She went for a walk." Anlia exits the house, where we stand in a group. "One of our customers just stopped by to ask if she made it home safely.

"Dammit! That woman is going to be the death of me." I rub my neck and, for a passing moment, feel relieved.

"If something happened to her..." Remus follows my gaze as he fastens his sword to his belt. I pinch my brow before letting out a heavy sigh.

"Three of you cover the upper town, and the other three go to the downtown area. Remus and I will check the outskirts. Return before nightfall. Hopefully, we will have found her."

"Captain, I want to help!" I turn to Anlia, who stares back with fire in her eyes.

"I can take her to the western outskirts. There are old ruins to the East. I would start there, Captain." Remus pats Anlia on the head. "While you put on your armor, we will check the front gate."

"No time for armour. Just get going." I grab my sword and fasten it to my simple belt.

"My gut says something is wrong."

"She better hope your gut is correct." I grit my teeth and watch them run off.

"Go easy on her if you do find her!" He turns to me one last time.

"No promises." He raises a brow and follows after Anlia. I head to the old ruins and ask a few people as I pass by if they have seen her. With no luck, I reach the end of the street that leads to the older part of White Reach. The ruins are buried in sand from storms.

I search for any tracks and keep an ear open. Carefully approaching the crumbling buildings as the wind whistles, passing through dark doorframes and windows. I am about to turn and look elsewhere when one catches my eye as a torn white cloth flies up from the doorframe. I step closer, and from inside, quiet voices are brought to me from the wind.

"Hey... Hey, calm yourself. I only want an answer. Where is my gem?" I peek around the corner to see a bandit speak to someone below him. I remember him: Aldar, the bandit who asked for her money in return.

I knew I should have him found and arrested. A frown crosses my face as a dozen men surround her, pointing their blades closer to her neck. She clicks her tongue and doesn't look away as he grabs her face roughly. Bringing his hand high above her and swiftly down. She flinches as it stops at her cheek, which he gently pats.

"Answer me!" He yanks off the cloak around her shoulder, causing her to fall to the ground with a grunt. "Or soon, you'll be stripped of all your belongings and dignity."

"Disgusting." I spit and step around the wall, reaching for the hilt of my sword. They turn to me, and a few of his men run out of the ruins, scampering through the sands. The ones that remain grip tightly onto their weapons.