Family

"She is quite a challenge." My eyes snap back to the older woman in front of me. A gentle laugh escapes her red lips.

"A challenge?"

"Rebellious, adventurous, always wanting to help, and sometimes a pain in you know where." The laugh gets louder as she takes things out for a meal. "There's some good in that, though, I suppose."

"Yeah..." I trail off, realizing just how much I agree with her.

"Now you will be camping with us, right?"

"We're already behind and wouldn't want to intrude—"
"Nonsense! It's already so late, and your men all look very relaxed."

She is right. I notice as a few setup tents and feed the horses. Quietly, I sigh and nod. "We have been traveling enough, I suppose, thank you."

"Good! Then you can help me prepare the vegetables." I take the bushel of carrots and begin to help her. "Orym is hunting, so we should have meat any moment. Tell me where you are all headed."

"We're headed to the Elusive Lake." She stops cutting and looks up at me, concerned. "Elvira helped us locate Ophelia of Avinar and is helping us rescue her. It was her that told us where the witch was located."

"I see..." There are scraping sounds as the vegetables are put into a pot to cook. "Please keep her safe."

"I will. You have my promise."

As we wait for the food, she returns washed up and talks quietly to Azuri. The older woman looks at her with worry and fiddles with her appearence. Pointing at her bare feet. "Were you going to visit me at all? I thought you ran off to the Expanse, that stubborn boy." She licks a finger and begins to rub dirt on Elviras' face. "I also taught you to clean up better than that. Especially with such a good-looking man around."

I clear my throat as I step closer. Elvira brushes her hands away from now reddened cheeks. "The tea is ready."

"Mistress! You can't just say that. What if he heard you!? Also, I didn't run off with him. He told me he could help, and in the end, well... I should have stayed with you."

"Oh, please, dear. A little compliment never hurt anyone. That is good, though. Keep away from him. I knew he was lying the minute he came back to us." Azuri sits, and Elvira pours her tea. Long white hair hides her face from those around her.

"Oryms back!" The young elven boy runs back. Dirty brown hair covers his face as he gives us a big smile. There's a thud, and I turn to see a tall, elven man. Dark red hair runs past his shoulders, tied with a loose ribbon. He frowns as he observes us. It fades when he sees her.

"Elvie?" She stands with a matching smile. "Here, I was worried you got yourself killed." He holds her face gently and observes her. He leans down and kisses her cheek.

"Orym." She quickly brushes his hands away but continues to smile. "You? Worry about me? Who taught you everything you know?" They laugh together.

"I will always worry for you." Gently, he moves her hair behind an ear. "Now help me prepare dinner and tell me who these men are?"

"You'll have to excuse them. It's been too long since they have seen one another." Azuri glances from my leg, which bounces slightly. "So tell me, how did you two meet?"

"Meet?" I sit up straighter, thinking about how to tell her if I should just give the truth or leave parts out.

"Let's save that story." Remus sits next to me. "I think learning about Elvira herself would be more interesting."

"If you insist, well, let's see! First, you should know I found the two of them holding little Mirklen on the outskirts of the Unknown Forest. At the time, I was much younger, even though they were older than me in years. They were still children. Orym's family had taken in Elvira after... After everything, they were separated from their parents after the third or fourth battle. So I helped them find them, but when I learned Elvira possessed magic, I asked if I could help teach her. At the time, most of those who could use magic were busy helping those wounded in the battles and didn't have time. So that's how they all came to be under my care."