For a Woman

"So this is the tower? We are within walking distance now. Still can't believe a story used to keep kids in their beds is true." We sit eating a cold dinner. "In the stories, a beautiful woman leads travelers to their deaths. Can't say I want to die, but there are worse ways."

"Dying for a woman seems odd," I mumble, and a few of them look at me in the darkness.

"Not just any woman. Ophelia of Avinar. She's a beautiful princess. You wouldn't understand that, though. Her beauty outmatches yours tenfold." Jyn jumps up excitedly, but I can't suppress the laugh that escapes.

"If you have a thing for brunettes. I guess." Remus adds and chuckles as well.

"Well, whatever the case, the Captain had been promised to her." They continue to talk, but I find the subject bothersome.

However, turning away from it leads me to find him sitting a little ways away. He tends to the horses. As always, my gaze lingers on him as if I am looking at a painting. He feeds Avarath an apple and begins to walk toward us. I catch his eye but quickly look to the sky. I squeeze my hand tightly, remembering the warmth he brought. Ugh, I am so embarrassed I had that attitude... Just because he didn't answer me? Does he realize what I meant when I told him I cared for him?

"We go down at dawn. It may be obvious, but no fire tonight. I don't want there to be a sign we are up here." He steps behind me. The men nod, but I can't think straight as his husky voice seems so lovely in my ear. "Are you alright?"

"M-Me?" I look at his green eyes as the sun slowly sets behind him. He is a lot closer than I thought. He grabs my shoulder gently to keep me close, and a warm, ungloved hand falls on my forehead. "Ah! I am fine! Thank you." I realize I am speaking louder than usual as I squirm out of his grip.

"If you feel feverish, lie down and rest." He joins the men who are preparing for tomorrow. I follow him as my head continues to fill with questions. "Did you need something else?" He sits next to Remus.

"I would like to look around and ensure we are safe."

"Huh, you're asking now?" Remus grins wide.

"Just don't go too far." I nod and walk away from the tower towards the higher cliffs surrounding us. Birds often nest in them, and one approaches me when I rest on a stone. I whisper to them, and they sing back. It's a sad song about the tower and the women inside.

"Elvira?" I look at the ground below the cliffs and find his hair first—the wavy curls shimmer like gold in the setting sun.

"Yes?" He looks up quickly, surprised to see me up so high.

"Seems dangerous to do this by yourself. I've wondered what you did when you disappeared. Is this it?" It's easier to step down the cliff, and it's only a short time until I stand before him.

"You've wondered about me? A woman could take that wrong if you're not careful." I smirk as he clears his throat. "Yes, Among other things. Sometimes I listen for a spring to wash in or...." I scratch my cheek when I think of how many times I have snuck away to escape my thoughts. He leans close when I pause too long, "or I find food and speak to animals."

"Right, speaking to animals and the earth. Do others use eccents to the same?" We walk together in the empty desert.

"Oh, eccents? Not magic? Someone may begin to think being around me is starting to change you. I never thought you would use those words so often." A hopeful thump hits my chest. "No, there's nothing like that involved. It's a natural gift. As I have said, any elven folk can do the same."

"I see..."

"Do you find it to be as frightening as magic?" I glance over at him, curious. To my surprise, he is already staring.