Admiration

"We will consume you, become you, devour you...."

"NO! I won't... I can't!"

"Don't fight who you are... What you could become."

I run in the darkness as something unseen chases each step behind mine. Like branches from a tree, it grows and reaches, enclosing around me, suffocating the life from my being. I gasp for air and reach a hand out for anyone to save me. I awake, falling from my bed to the wooden floor. I scratch at my neck as my chest heaves for air.

"It was a dream... Just a dream." The words come out shakily as if not my own. I inhale once more and wipe tears from my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I stand up in the brighter room. Hanging on the door is his cloak. I pick at the blood dried to it. "What happened? This is my blood, but why can't I remember?"

"Hello?" I step back from the door and watch as it cracks open slightly. Anlia looks at me with worry, but soon, it spreads into a kind smile. "I heard a bang and wanted to ensure you were okay?"

"I am. I... I just fell from the bed, that is all. I apologize. Thank you for checking on me." My heart warms at the gesture. Yet my stomach churns as I remember the dream and wish to lie in bed for the rest of the day.

"Fell from the bed?" She stops when I look away, not wanting to discuss it further. "Ah, very well. Did the dress fit okay? I heard you needed to go to a clothes stand."

"In some areas. It's tight in others."

"I see. It's from when I was younger. I am afraid my newer outfits won't fit your petite frame." She searches my body, and at that moment, I wish I could hide away. "It can't be helped. Breakfast will be ready in a few!" She nods and skips down the hall.

I shut the door with a soft sigh. Was I stripped naked when he found me? What happened to my clothing? The thought makes the blood on my face heat. I slide the gown on that Anlia gave me. It's a lovely shade of grey and fits at the waist area perfectly. Yet, at the top, the square neckline is tight and pushes upward, revealing more than I am comfortable with. I sneak out of the house to the back with his cloak tight to my chest. I sigh and wonder if Anlia has one I could borrow as I scrub at the blood on his.

"Oh, there you are. Are you ready?" I hide behind the cloak and peek out at Remus. He looks at me, puzzled.

"Just you?" He raises his brow, and my heart sinks as I think about his hand nearing my last night and how my heart raced at the movement.

"Yeah." He grins. "Disappointed?"

"No! Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I just... I need this cloak to dry before we go."

He looks at it, confused. I sigh and step out. "I see... One of Anlia's older dresses?" He quickly looks at the building. "I'll be back."

I watch him enter the house again, and he exits behind him. Anlia skips happily. He hands me a bundle of cloth, which I gratefully receive. A green cloak that usually hangs from his back. "Thank you so much!" I breathe out in relief.

"Of course. I have asked Lia to take you." The woman at his side waves happily as I tie the cloak around my neck. "I need to get supplies and get the horses ready. Be sure you don't get into any more trouble. Cal will end us both."

"Mother wants me to grab some food for supper since you will stay another night." She turns to me after we watch Remus enter the stable. A large smile crosses her lips, and she holds my arm as we walk. The length of the dress causes me to stumble a few times, even as I pull it up.

"The dress would be perfect if it weren't so long." She nods approvingly. We make our way to the marketplace, and I pick out a simple black dress that flows down to the ankles and comes with a leather belt and pouch. The sleeves are long and end in rings that wrap around the middle finger for added warmth.