✧ seventeen

Though today again, Jiwoong hadn’t been here to drive her back home, Vicky was in very good company. She'd bumped into Narae at the school entrance, and they both had decided to make the most out of the more tolerable weather, by walking home at a leisurely pace, chatting and talking about all sorts of things. Unfortunately, the only thing on their tongues had been their upcoming midterms, as summer break was slowly creeping up.

"Eh, I'll probably be fine," Narae said with a shrug. "The exams shouldn’t be too hard, right?"

Vicky chuckled wryly, as she scratched her cheek. "Wow, I wish I could be as optimistic as you. I'm just so ready to be done with school..."

"Ah, me too. I just love summer. I want to go to the beach so bad..."

"That would be fun," Vicky said, but her mind was still on the exams. "But it's really hot this time of year. I like it a little cooler."

Narae shook her head, a grin on her face. "No way! It's not a real beach outing if you don’t go home sunburnt."

It seemed her friend was very much overjoyed by the sizzling weather they'd been having lately. Vicky, on the other hand, felt more comfortable in the cooler months. She would be able to wear big coats, bury herself in blankets, and most importantly, there was Christmas. That meant gifts. Not that she didn't get any gifts the rest of the year. She was pretty much constantly littered with presents, mainly from her father. But during Christmas, she got to give back to those she loved. She still liked receiving the most, but seeing a smile on your family's faces as you gift them something they like was strangely uplifting. Yes, winter was definitely the better of the fours seasons.

Speaking of cold things, Vicky's eyes stopped on the familiar ice cream shop she'd gone to last time. Maybe she really did like cooler things in general. Ice cream was cold. And Ricky...Ricky was really cool. In every sense of the word. Even as he'd worn that over the top uniform, he still looked like a prince, so impossible to reach.

Narae suddenly stopped walking, one eyebrow raised. "Hmm? Why are you looking at that ice cream shop? You hungry?"

Caugh red handed, Vicky blinked quickly. "Agh, why are you oblivious about everything but me?" she murmured to herself, unsure how to get herself out of this one. "I'm not hungry, it's just... Ricky works there."

In respone, Narae tucked her chin in, disbelief written on her face. "That Ricky? Working? Like an actual normal guy? That's hard to picture."

"He really is though! I think his parents wanted him to be more responsible..."

"Yeah, I can see that," she replied with a snort, before giving Vicky a sly smile. "Should we go in there then? So you two can see each other..."

Vicky immediately felt heat rise to her ears, under the pressure of Narae's knowing gaze. She'd been that obvious, huh? So obvious even Narae had noticed. She'd never been very... Aware, when it came to love. Too many times, a guy had tried to get close to Narae, only for her to brush him off so she could go tend to her plants, not even considering someone could be interested in her. Yet, somehow, she always seemed to know when Vicky had a crush on someone! So unfair.

"No, no way, I don't wanna see him," she hurriedly replied shaking her head fervently. She definitely wasn’t prepared for that. "And I..." Vicky looked down at her feet, suddenly remembering something she'd tried to keep locked somewhere in her brain. "I probably shouldn’t get too close to him, anyway."

Narae instantly lost the teasing act, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "What do you mean? You shouldn’t?"

For a second, Vicky debated on whether she wanted to get into it or not, but she thought Narae wouldn’t fly off the handle as easily as her brother would if she were to tell him. And maybe talking to someone about it could reassure her. She'd been tormenting herself over this, probably making a mountain out of a molehill, even if it might not have been that important. Narae would probably know what to do.