✧ seventy eight

If someone had told Jiyeon, back when she and Jiwoong had broken up, that she would one day introduce him to her parents, she would have taken them for a fool. Truth be told, the end of their relationship had hurt her so much she'd resigned herself to the idea that she might never introduce anyone to them. Even now that they were together, she did not dare tell her parents about him, afraid for what the future might have in store for her.

That was until Yujin ran his mouth again. To his credit, it had been accidental. He hadn’t noticed their parents were in the next room when he'd asked her about how things were going with her boyfriend ("her stupid boyfriend", to quote him directly), and had been mortified when they'd both run into the room with a myriad of questions. They'd insisted on meeting him, and now, he was coming over for lunch. A bit earlier than she would've liked, but there was no escaping her parents' nosiness. They seemed so excited to know she had someone she loved, she couldn’t refuse them...

Of course, because she was so nervous about making this perfect for both her parents and her boyfriend, Jiyeon had decided to cook a grand meal. Though she was a better baker than chef, she was trying her very hardest to make a meal everyone would enjoy. While she stirred the stew she'd made in a large pot, Yujin watched her work, sitting at the kitchen island.

"This sucks," he groaned for the tenth time. "I should've kept my mouth shut."

She chuckled. "But you didn’t."

"Yeah, well, mom and dad will probably think he's dumb and all, so..."

Jiyeon shook her head, a small smile on her lips. She had a feeling Yujin couldn’t be further from the truth. After all, Jiwoong was nothing if not charming. He'd won her heart with a single glance, and she was sure he would do the same with her parents, too. Though Yujin would deny it, he, too, had once been very fond of Jiwoong. He just had that effect on people: it was impossible to dislike him.

Before she could tease her brother, the doorbell rang. She heard the shuffling of footsteps in the entrance hall, and quickly abandoned her stew. The last thing she wanted was for her parents to embarrass her. Better watch them. As she had expected, Jiwoong's seduction started as soon as the door opened. Before they could even see his face, their eyes were drawn to the beautiful bouquet in his hand. The gorgeous smile on his lips was just the cherry on top.

"Hello ma'am, sir," he greeted them warmly, and handed the bouquet to her mother. "Here, this is for you. I also brought a box of chocolates."

As he gently wiggled the fancy box of chocolates in his other hand, Jiyeon saw her mother's eyes widen. Well, that was her mom already wrapped around his finger. If there was one thing that would go straight to her heart, it was chocolate. Funnily enough, Jiyeon hadn’t even told him that. He'd just made a guess, and hit bullseye. Or maybe he'd just assumed the mother would have as sweet a tooth as the daughter.

"Oh my, how nice of you," she replied, before placing the bouquet down on the table.

"Come, let's sit down," her father said, as he pulled Jiwoong towards the dining room, a hand on his back.

Well, this was going even better than she had expected. She and Yujin shared a look, hers full of pride, his full of annoyance, as they moved to the dining room. Jiyeon sat down next to Jiwoong, who seemed strangely comfortable. Compared to him, she would probably be a stuttering mess when or if she would meet his parents. There were a few appetizers laid out on the table, but no one picked at them, eager to make conversation. She didn’t follow the flow of their words, too focused on the pleasant atmosphere. It almost felt like Jiwoong had met them before, and was already part of the family. It felt so... Natural.

"Oh, did my daughter tell you that she writes?" her father inquired, pulling her out of her reverie.

Jiwoong nodded. "Yes, she did. I've helped her with some of her plot points, but I have to admit I don't have nearly as creative a mind as she does."