VII

~ 𝒜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓃𝒶 ~

Marias words kept replaying in my mind. he had dropped me off last night and asked me for my number, since he had forgotten to ask for it the last time. I couldn't sleep, not for a few hours. So many things about him were running through my mind and I didnt know what to make of it. There was something about him that I didn't know, and it seemed as if everyone around me knew. He was well known around the town, but no one seemed to actually know anything much about him.

Last night he had told me that he worked in the city but chose to stay here in the town that was nearly 1 hour away. All of this and what maria had told me that night kept me wondering. Maria had held both my hands and had a smile that was happy and sad, she came near my ear and whispered, "he hasnt been happy in a very long time, thank you."

I watched my students run around the playground, laughing like they had just heard the funniest joke in the world. So free and so young, its funny how when were younger we always wished we were older; but when weve grown up all we want is to go back to that age where everything was so simple.

The kids continue to play as their parents come to pick them up. I speak with a few of the parents and hug my students goodbye one by one. By 5 all the students and their parents had left and the school was relatively empty except for the janitor and the security guard.

My car had needed a little fixing so I had taken the bus to work today. I walked to the bus stop and took a seat on the bench waiting for the bus. The road was crowded with cars, everybody trying to get home early. Small dark spots started to from on the pavement as it started to drizzle. And within 1 minutes it went from drizzling to pouring.

I knew the bus was going to take years to come, but I had no other choice than to wait. the water splashing on me from the rain above and the moving cars on the road, had now almost drenched me completely. I slouched against the bus stop pole, knowing that there was no way I was going to make it back on time.

I watched the lights of the cars that shone very brightly in the night, white, red, and yellow. The lights reflected on the puddles on water like sparkles. I took a deep breath and smelt the fresh air, it was like the rain had cleansed all the smoke and dust, worries and thoughts, all the bad things away. All the plants looked so fresh and everything was just so calming.

A car suddenly stopped right in front of me, the car windows were blacked out so I couldnt see who. The car looks really familiar, I swear I've seen it before. The drivers side opened and Lucian stepped out with an umbrella in one hand and his suit jacket in the other, I stared at him as he walked toward me. He bent down in front of me, his jaw was clenched like he was angry, but I could see the worry in his eyes.

"What are you doing here? where's your car?" he asked in a deep voice; it sent shivers down my spine. In a good way.

"It's at the mechanics, I was waiting for the bus" I replied; a gust of cold wind blew past us and I shivered.

"I'll drop you home" he got up and placed the suit jacket he had in his hand around me. he put his hand out for me to take. His warm hand engulfed mine as I placed my hand in his, and he helped me stand. I stood up and he placed his arm around my shoulder while opening his umbrella. As we walked to his car, he pulled me closer to him, I enjoyed the warmth that radiated from him.

He opened the car door for me, I got in and he shut the door. He walked to the other side of the car, he closed the umbrella and placed it under the back seat before he got into the driver's side. I pulled his jacket closer to me, breathing in his musky sent. He turned up the heat in the car and started driving.

I looked at him, his shirt sleeves were rolled up and his hair was slightly wet.

"Thank you" his hands that were gripping the steering wheel tight relaxed a little bit. He glanced at me briefly before looking back at the road. He took my hand that was on my lap gently and held it in his, his thumb gently strong my hand.

"Next time call me, I'll come pick you up" he said.

"okay" I said, knowing damn well that I wouldn't call him to pick me up again.

"I'm serious Athena, staying out like this especially when it's raining is dangerous" he gripped my hand a little tighter, but still gentle.

I gripped his hand back, "alright I will, I promise."

This time I meant it, I don't break promises.

For the remainder of the journey, we sat in a comfortable silence as he drove me home.

~

He came to a slow stop at the front of my apartment building. as he stopped the car, I turned to him to see he was already looking at me.

"You should come upstairs and dry off; you'll catch a cold" I waited for his response, after a minute he nodded his head and parked the car at the side. We got out of the car and walked into the apartment building.

When I first saw this apartment, I really loved it. it was a small building that had 3 floors and there were only 6 units, each floor had two. The building was a very old and rustic building, but the owner had renovated the place.

I walked up the stairs until I reached the 3rd floor with Lucian right behind me. I unlocked the door and stepped in; I held the door open for Lucian to walk in too. He looked at me for a minute and I smiled at him, he walked in and I shut the door.

The house was completely dark, I carefully walked over to the switch and turned the light on. the house turned bright and I saw Lucian squint his eyes before adjusting to the light. I watched as Lucian took in house, his eyes going over everything. I walked to the table Infront of the sofa and lit the scented candle before turning to Lucian who was already looking at me.

"You can take a shower in the guest bathroom; your clothes should be dried by the time you're out" he nodded and I lead him to the guest room. "Hold on I'll get you a towel" I walked out of the guest room and went to the laundry room that had all the extra towels and bedsheets, I took a towel and walked back to the room. I walked into the room and stopped short.

All the air left my lungs, He had taken off his shirt. His back was toned and was pure muscle and when he moved his arms, I could see his back muscles flexing. I swallowed and he turned around.

I think I'm going to pass out. He had broad shoulders and his abs were defined. He had a tattoo on the right side of his chest. it was a tattoo of two doves, both the doves were looking at each other. Both the doves were holding white roses using its feet and there were numbers below it in roman numerals.

I snapped out of my daze when I heard my name being called. Lucian was smirking at me; I could feel my cheeks heat up. I walked in and gave him the towel; I mumbled that I would come back to take his clothes when he went to shower. I avoided his eyes and walked out of the room as fast as I could. once I heard the shower start, I walked back in and took his cloths. I went to the laundry room and threw them into the dryer.

I went to my room and decided to take a quick shower before the cloths got dried. I striped down and walked into the shower and relaxed as the hot water washed over me, and I all I could this about was the man taking a shower in the guest bathroom.