Chapter 14

𝐃𝐚𝐡𝐥𝐢𝐚 shoots out of her bed with a loud gasp, and pants softly. Her silk night-dress is stuck to her body, sweating profusely and... drooling?. "Was it all a dream?" She asks herself quietly, and regains her breath as she stands up. She looks at herself in the mirror, and takes note of the marks on her cheek. 'Of course, I fell asleep on my charger.' She thinks to herself, and rolls her eyes as she wipes her cheek, trying to remove the marks and wipe away the dried drool that escaped from her lips. A blush creeps up her rosy cheeks as she remembers the inappropriate dream, which was completely uncharacteristic of her. Dahlia had never been a sexual person, and she especially despised it when Irene would bring one-night-stands back to their dorm.

 Her jaw clenches as she thinks of the blonde woman, but she shakes the thought out of her head and heads to the bathroom. It's 5:37 AM, so luckily no one was awake to see her in her rather provocative night-dress. She washes her face, and gets ready to hop in the shower, until her phone starts ringing. She answers the call, and whisper-yells into the phone, "Hello?".

"Dahlia, thank God! You need to come down to the laboratory quickly, something is happening with the patient." Gerald's frantic voice nearly screams through the phone and she jumps, but she ends the call and practically sprints back to her dorm, where she grabs her bag, a jacket, and slips on her slippers. She runs to the car, almost tripping over her oversized slippers, but she holds on to the car door and stabilizes herself. Inhaling sharply, she begins driving. Worst case scenarios drift through her head, and she can't help but feel worried. "Why am I concerned about a demon? And better yet, why did I have a fucking sex dream about him?!" She yells at herself, and slams her palms down onto the steering wheel. 

Once she arrives, she darts through the gate and frantically slides her key-card into the slot, but it takes more time than usual and she curses loudly as the cold, night air nips at her exposed flesh. The night-dress was a thin silk material, it ended right at her mid-thighs and didn't do such a great job at covering her cleavage. She clutched the jacket over her shivering frame, and walked through the door trying to appear calm and stable. Selma is standing up at the desk, a concerned look in her eyes as she looks at the frantic younger woman. "Dahlia, you're finally here." Gerald busts through the doors and sighs in relief when he sees her, and his eyes travel down her body as he freezes. She uncomfortably wraps herself up in the jacket, desperate to hide her features. He shakes his head and approaches her, signaling her to follow him to the laboratory.

They speed walk over, and Dahlia gasps as she notices the demon. He's sat in the corner, weakly panting and clutching his chest. His skin is a whiter shade than usual, and his hair is hanging over his eyes. "Is he... dying?" She asks gerald, her eyebrows furrowing as she rushes towards the demon. He looks up at her with relief clouding his eyes, and he clutches her arm. "No, that's the problem! We're almost out of serums, and not a single one has had it's desired effect!" Gerald exclaims, rubbing his temples. She stands up and glares at him, "You called me over here at 5 o'clock in the morning, because he's not dying?" She asks him incredulously, irritation dripping from her words. He nods, and she grabs his arm and pulls him into the corner of the room.

"Why are you trying to kill him, anyway?" She whispers, and he furrows her eyebrows at her as if she should already know. She looks at him, awaiting an answer, before finally, "Demons are the root of all evil, Ms. Winslow. They take innocent lives, they steal, they lie, they cheat. They control all that is bad." He disclosed, and she twists her face at his words. "But-" She starts, but he cuts her off, "No buts, Dahlia. Don't be fooled by their charm." He shakes his head, staring down at her almost like a disappointed father. 

She walks away from him and towards the demon, before turning her head to him once more. "I understand. If you'll let me, I'd like to get back to my patient." She says blankly, deciding against snapping at his ignorance. He nods and walks out of the room, looking back at them once more. She sighs and looks down at the demon, shaking her head. "What am I gonna do with you?"

The demon smirks at her, and stands up, and sits down on the gurney and rests his chin on his palm as he watches her. He takes note of her dress, and the way it perfectly hugged her curves. It was light pink, and it accentuated her light skin. He thought about using his nails to rip her dress open, and feast on her, and an idea swarmed his brain. "Why are you wearing that?" He asks, his raspy voice ringing in her ears. She snaps her head towards him alarmingly, taken aback by the question. She was in such a hurry to get here, she had no time to change into a more appropriate attire. "I was asleep when I got the call." She lied, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of knowing about her dream.

She walks up to him, and her face burns furiously as she inspects his bare torso. He was well defined, almost too perfect. Unlike her, his abs portruded through his skin, whereas she had more pudge to her. They were wildly different, but somehow perfect for each other. She checks his blood pressure, and takes a sample of his blood. He watches her with amusement as she carefully pokes him with the needle, and draws back the black liquid into the syringe. "Demons have black blood, that's interesting." She hums, and he bites back a sexual comment. "It looks like we're going to be here a while, Dr. Dahlia Winslow," He mocks her, and continues, "We should play that question game again." He suggests, and she furrows her eyebrows at him suspiciously, before reluctantly agreeing. Anything would be better than defeaning silence during these long hours of constant examination and surveillance.