18. execution

Note: It's a SUPER long chapter (12,845 words) because I didn't have the heart to separate it into three parts - so please keep that in mind when y'all bug me for updates, lol

---------------------------------------------------------------

Meerab could feel Murtasim's eyes on her as she brushed her hair in front of the dresser in the guest room that night, an intense yet gentle gaze that seemed to reach straight into her soul. It made her feel cherished in a way that words could never quite encapsulate.

"You're up to something," he said, his voice carrying a teasing undertone, resonating with the comfortable familiarity that had blossomed between them.

She met his eyes through the mirror and shook her head, unable to conceal the sly grin tugging at her lips. "No, what would I be up to?" she responded, her voice laced with faux innocence that did little to mask the glee bubbling within her.

He leaned against the headboard of the bed, his stance relaxed yet radiating a certain allure that never failed to captivate her. "You've been smiling suspiciously since I got back...and you, Maa, and Maryam keep looking at each other like you're harboring a secret," he mused, his eyes twinkling with curiosity.

As she turned around to face him, a surge of affection washed over her. She couldn't deny that her husband was not only much too smart but also devastatingly handsome. Adorned in a white kurta-pajama, the soft fabric accentuated the graceful lines of his frame. The top few buttons lay unbuttoned, revealing a glimpse of his chest, beckoning her touch. His hair, swept gracefully away from his face, highlighted his striking features perfectly. The growth of his beard, just the way she loved, added a rugged charm that was irresistibly enticing.

He raised an eyebrow at her, a silent invitation to share the secret that danced in her eyes. Swallowed by the intensity of his gaze, she found her heartbeat quickening as she walked towards the bed.

"It's a girl thing," she replied, her voice carrying a playful lilt as she stepped closer to him. The distance between them seemed to blur, as if pulled by an invisible thread of attraction that neither of them could resist.

Suddenly, with a playful yet firm grip, he grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the bed. A burst of laughter escaped her as she squealed, "Murtasim! What are you doing?" The surprise and exhilaration mingled in her voice, echoing the pure joy that bubbled in the room.

"Were you not hinting at this with your doe-like eyes?" He hummed, a playful accusation laced with affection as he guided her to straddle him. A soft giggle escaped her, the sound wrapping around them like a warm, comforting blanket.

"I was not!" she insisted, the spark in her eyes and the way her body melted into his betraying the playful denial that danced on her lips.

Murtasim's face held a knowing smile, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "Liar, your eyes always give you away, Mrs. Khan," he teased, his voice taking on a deeper, more sultry tone that sent a delightful shiver down her spine. As he licked his lips, a magnetic force seemed to draw her gaze to them.