24. qalandar ki tarah dhamaal

A/N: Thank you for all the love for the last chapter, here's the next one! Perhaps something you've all been waiting for, hehehehehe.

----------------------------------- 

The evening's golden light spilled across the courtyard, casting a warm glow on the vibrant festivities. Amidst the sounds of laughter and the sweet melodies of folk songs, Meerab sat, feeling a whirlwind of emotions as Murtasim faced her, a simple plate of food between them.

Each movement he made, every gentle fold of roti, seemed to have an inexplicable effect on Meerab. As Murtasim brought the food to her lips, her heart skipped like a stone across water, creating ripples of warmth that spread through her.

Meerab could hardly understand the flurry within her. It was just food, after all. He had fed her before, after she had been pushed down the stairs, but then it had been a spoon to her mouth and there had been tension among them. But things had changed. The way Murtasim's eyes locked with hers, the slight smile on his face, the careful attention he paid to each bite he offered, made her feel treasured, cherished. And when her lips brushed against the tips of his fingers, a shiver ran down her spine, an electric current that seemed to connect them beyond words.

He, too, ate from the same plate, his actions mirroring hers, giggles ringing out around them.

Meerab's cheeks glowed with a warmth that the flickering lights could not claim credit for. She was conscious of every brush of Murtasim's skin, the tender look in his eyes that seemed to grow deeper with each shared bite.

"It's interesting that you didn't eat before getting mehendi applied like everyone else." Murtasim asked with a raised eyebrow, his voice playfully chiding. "If you wanted me to feed you, all you had to do was ask, meri jaan." He teased.

Meerab's cheeks flushed a bright shade of crimson at his words. She opened her mouth to retort, but for a moment, she was lost for words. When she finally found her voice, it was a mix of embarrassment and mock indignation. "I... I was not... I mean, I didn't—"

Her spluttering only made Murtasim's smile grow wider, his eyes twinkling with amusement. He laughed gently, the sound rich and warm in the evening air. "I'm just kidding, Meerab. I know how you get—lost in the work and completely forgetting about things like eating."

She gave him a small, embarrassed smile, still feeling the warmth of her blush. "Well, maybe a little," she admitted, her voice soft. "But I didn't do it on purpose."

Murtasim's chuckle faded into a tender look. "I know," he said, his tone softening.

As he brought another bite to her lips, she opened her mouth, allowing him to place the food inside, her eyes never leaving his.

Suddenly, a bout of hiccups interrupted the moment, causing her to giggle amidst the tiny spasms. Murtasim's concern was immediate. "Wait here," he said softly, his hand briefly caressing her back as he rose to fetch a glass of water.

When he returned, Murtasim knelt beside her, holding the glass to her lips with the same tender care he'd shown earlier. "Drink slowly," he instructed, his tone laced with concern.

Meerab nodded, taking small sips from the glass he held, her eyes closing as she concentrated on calming her hiccups. The cool water was a soothing contrast to the warmth that enveloped her.

As she finished, Murtasim set the glass aside, his gaze never leaving her face. He reached out, his thumb gently tracing her lips, wiping away the stray droplets of water. The touch was light, yet laden with unspoken emotions, causing Meerab's heart to beat even faster.