49. a family

Author's Note: Hi everyone! The response to the last chapter was so overwhelming, I was a little unsure about it since it was so detailed but I am so glad so many of you really enjoyed the chapter. Thank you for all the love and kind comments! This is the next chapter, which got away from me, so that means Chapter 50 should also be up in a few days. Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------

Meerab slowly opened her eyes, blinking against the soft light filtering into the room. She didn't know how long she had slept, but it didn't feel like much—her body was still screaming with exhaustion. Every part of her ached, her muscles sore and stiff, and there was a deep, throbbing pain in her lower abdomen, a reminder of the marathon of labor she had just endured. Her breasts were tender and heavy, and she could feel the dull ache of them filling with milk again, the aftereffects of having delivered a baby.

Despite the discomfort, a small smile tugged at her lips as she remembered the last thing she saw before drifting off—Murtasim, holding their perfect little daughter against his chest, his large hands cradling her tiny body with such care. He had burped her after she nursed for the second time, the rhythmic pats and his soothing voice calming Meesam until she fell asleep.

Now, as she turned her head slightly, she noticed that Meesam was no longer on Murtasim's chest. Instead, her daughter was nestled in the bassinet beside her bed, swaddled in a soft, pale pink blanket. Murtasim's chair was by the bassinet, his chin placed on the edge of it, his focus entirely on their daughter, who was wriggling slightly, her tiny hand wrapped around one of his fingers.

Meerab's heart swelled at the sight, but what really caught her attention was the tears filling Murtasim's eyes, glistening under the dim lights of the room. They rolled down his cheeks slowly, unchecked, as he gazed down at their little girl, completely mesmerized by her.

"You're perfect," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion. "Meri choti shehzaadi, himmatwali, honslewali, sabse sundar, bilkul apni ammi ki tarah."

Meerab felt her own eyes well up with tears at his words. The depth of his love, the pure adoration in his voice, made her heart ache in the best possible way. She had always known Murtasim had a heart full of love, but seeing it now, so raw and unguarded, left her feeling overwhelmed with emotion.

Meesam, as if responding to her father's soft words, let out a series of tiny noises—little coos and grunts that sounded so endearing, it was almost impossible not to smile. The sounds were a mix of sleepiness and mild discomfort, and Meerab knew their baby girl was starting to wake up and would likely be hungry soon.

"It's okay, shhhh," Murtasim whispered, his voice gentle as he rubbed her tiny tummy with his free hand. "Meri Meesam ko bhook lagi hai?" he murmured, his tone soothing.

As if understanding him, Meesam made another little noise, almost like a reply, and Murtasim let out a soft chuckle, the sound filled with tenderness. "No more kicks?" he whispered, his hand moving to caress her small legs with such care, as if he were afraid she might break under his touch.

Meerab watched the interaction, feeling a lump in her throat. She could see how deeply Murtasim had already bonded with their daughter, how every little sound and movement she made seemed to capture his entire being. And it made her love him even more.

Just then, Murtasim's eyes flickered up to hers, widening slightly when he realized she was awake. He looked almost caught off guard, as if he'd been so engrossed in Meesam that he hadn't noticed her stirring.

"Hi," she whispered, a smile on her face despite the pain and exhaustion.

Murtasim immediately stood up straight, leaving the bassinet and walking over to her side. His concern was evident in his eyes as he looked down at her, taking in every detail of her face, searching for any signs of discomfort. "How are you?" he asked, his voice soft but filled with worry.