27. a whole new world

A/N: Thank you for the love for the last chapter, I love that so many of you found closure with that chapter! Here's to one more chapter before the year ends - I started this fic in June from that terrace scene in Episode 29, and now we're ending the year on MeeraSim going on their honeymoon, they've come such a long way! Happy New Year y'all!

-----------------------------------------------

Meerab sat in a lounge at the Jinnah International Airport, her heart fluttering with a mix of excitement and anxiety. The airport's bustle was overwhelming, a stark contrast to the quiet, reflective life she'd been leading since the incident at the village. She had been on a plane just twice in her life, and that had been a relatively short flight to England and back with her family. But now, as she faced the prospect of the long journey from Karachi to the Lion Sands Game Reserve in South Africa, her nerves began to fray at the edges.

Beside her, Murtasim, ever the pillar of strength, noticed her tapping foot and the slight furrow in her brow. He sighed softly and reached for her hand, enveloping it in his warm, reassuring grasp. "Relax, meri jaan, or you're going to wear a hole through the floor," he joked lightly, a smile playing on his lips. Meerab couldn't help but let out a small, tense laugh, her foot ceasing its nervous tapping as she looked up into his calm, loving eyes.

"Remind me of the plan again," she requested, seeking comfort in the details, her gaze turning towards him. Murtasim sat relaxed, his attire casual in a polo-sweatshirt and soft pants, a stark contrast to his usual formal, commanding presence. It made him seem younger, more approachable, and it mirrored her own choice of a comfortable matching sweatpants and sweatshirt combo.

"First," he began, pointing towards the departure gates, "we walk through those gates straight onto the Emirates plane. Then we take off from Karachi and land in Dubai." He paused, noticing the question forming on her lips and pre-empting it with a reassuring smile. "It's just two hours to get there, and then we'll chill in the business class lounge for three hours, have a meal, and then it's just a ten-hour..."

"Nine hours 40 minutes," she corrected with a slight smile, finding some solace in the precision of the schedule.

"Yes, a nine-hour 40-minute flight to Cape Town, and then we get on our last plane to Skukuza Airport," he continued, his voice steady and sure.

"What about the luggage?!" Meerab interjected, the sudden fear of losing their belongings flashing in her eyes.

"They will ensure our luggage is sent to the plane that departs to the Skukuza Airport," Murtasim reassured her with a confident nod. He seemed to remember how she had woken up the night before, gasping with worry about missing their connecting flights, so he quickly added, "We have more than enough time to board the plane, Meerab."

"What if they don't get the luggage?" she asked, her voice laced with a thin layer of anxiety.

"You put an air tag in all the pieces. We'll make sure they get on the plane," he told her with a gentle squeeze of her hand, his tone soothing and firm.

She nodded, taking a deep breath and allowing herself to relax slightly into the comfort of his presence.

Murtasim laid out the remaining steps of their journey, his voice a steady, comforting rhythm. "The last flight will take about two and a half hours, and then a car will pick us up and take us to the reserve. We'll freshen up, eat, try to stay awake until night, and then crash," he concluded, painting a picture of the upcoming hours with a precision that left no room for the unexpected.

She sighed, a small nod indicating her acceptance of the plan. "Okay," she breathed out, a semblance of calm returning to her.

Suddenly, her eyes widened, a new wave of concern washing over her. "Boarding passes!" she exclaimed, her gaze darting towards Murtasim.