Chapter 2

An island that welcomes twenty thousand people a day. People who come to see real-live dinosaurs and here I am. An eighteen year old girl doing homework. Unfreaken believable. I should be helping my dad train the raptors but no I need a 'real education'. My long reddish-brown hair falls in front of my eyes. I've been staring at the same calculus problem for ten minutes now. The door to our bungalow opens to a very pissed off father.

"Hey dad... how's it going?"

"You ever wonder why there's always a new guy around?" He spits.

"Um... because it's a dangerous job?" I'm not really sure where this conversation is going.

"Exactly! It's dangerous and people need to know what the fuck they're doing!"

"Dad, what happened?"

"The new guy fell into the pen and almost got torn apart by Blue."

"What! Is everyone ok?!"

"Yes everyone's fine. I almost didn't make it out though."

"They tried to attack you?" My heart breaks at the thought.

"They were shaken up and didn't know what was happening. It wasn't their fault."

"Daddy." Tears well up in my eyes as I hug my dad.

"Oh baby girl it's ok. Everything's going to be fine." His strong arms wrap around me.

"You could have been killed."

"These are our raptors we're talking about. They wouldn't hurt me."

I nod and pull away. "I told you I should've been there."

He chuckles lightly. "Oh I'm glad you weren't. Did you finish your homework?"

"Dad!" I laugh, "No I just have one more problem and I think your situation was more important than homework."

He just shrugs. "Just trying to lighten the mood. I'm going to go work on my bike for a bit. Finish your homework."

"Yes father." I spit sarcastically.

Not much time passes before I hear a car pull up the driveway. Curious I go out onto the porch. My eyes make contact with my dad's blue ones as he is still working on his black motorcycle and is covered in grease and sweat. Getting out of the sleek Mercedes is none other than Claire. With her flaming red hair cut into a bob and white blouse, skirt, and six inch stilettos she screams uptight. I guess that happens when you're the supervisor of the biggest amusement park in the world.

She gives me a nod. "Maya."

"Claire." We never had a great relationship. Apparently my dad and I are to 'reckless' and unprofessional for our jobs. She can suck my dick for all I care.

She walks up to my dad who is completely ignoring her. "Lieutenant."

He looks up at her with a raised eyebrow. "Owen, now what can I do for you Claire?"

"Well, lieutenant, mister Masrani would like you to inspect the new inclosure of our new attraction."

"Owen." He emphasizes, "And why me?"

"Mr. Masrani seems to trust you and with your Navy skills he believes your advice will be helpful." The look on her face tells me she doesn't believe a word she's saying.

"And here I thought you'd be wanting that second date. Not that I would accept." My dad smirks. I gag at the comment.

Claire scoffs and steps away from my dad. "Like I would ever want a second date with you."

"Me? You're the one who made an itinerary of the whole night." He laughs we he said wipes his hands on a rag.

"I'm an organized person and who wears board shorts to a date?"

"It's Central America. It's hot." He shrugs meanwhile I'm silently dying of laughter. They continue to bicker and I silently enjoy it. That is until my dad brings up sex and I take it as my cue to go inside.

Shortly after my dad comes in and changes. I ask him if I can come but am met with a curt no. So to keep busy I turn on the radio that allows me to here all the conversations going to control. It's pretty boring until Claire's voice rings through the speakers.

"There is an asset out of containment!"