Chapter 8

We speed ahead so we're in the middle of the raptor pack. Blue looks at me and roars at the others while picking up speed. We're in the middle of the forrest dodging logs and trees. The raptors start to slow down as we near a clearing. Dad holds his hand up to signal the others to stop.

"Alright hold up they've got something." He says through the earpiece everyone has.

The raptors form a semi circle around a portion of the forest. I get off the bike and hold my gun in shooting position. Dad, Barry, and I crouch behind a log while watching the raptor. The soldiers flank our sides.

"Sweetheart please be careful." My dad looks at me but I refuse to look at him. Instead I look at my raptors the only things I can truly trust.

One of the trees start to move but then I notice it's not a tree at all. It's the Indominus Rex. The monster can camouflage. As it comes out of the trees it's skin turns to a pale white color. She's bigger than the T-Rex with spikes lining her back. Her arms are long and resemble the.... Oh my god. A noise I've heard for the past eleven years comes out of the Indominus.

"Something's wrong. It's communicating with the raptors." Barry says.

"That's impossible." Dad inhales sharply.

"But, it's not because that thing is part raptor." I say frustrated. How could the lab be so stupid to make an animal like this?

Blue answers the Indominus and the raptors turn toward us. Her fierce yellow eyes meet mine before jumping on one of the soldiers, killing him immediately.

"Blue no!" I yell as dad pulls me away from the fight.

"Raptors have a new Alpha!" He yells through the com.

He sets me down against a tree. Gunshots ring through the air and an explosion blasts near the Indominus.

I look at my dad with tears running down my eyes. He sighs and leans down and places his hands on my shoulders. "S-She killed him!" I sob.

"I know sweetheart. But, remember she was ordered to."

"B-Blue!" I wail.

Rustling comes a few feet away along with the sound of a man gurgling. We stand up and I see Echo's tail wave in the air as she tears the man apart. When she's done she looks up and stares at us. The look in her eyes is divided. One side of her is telling her to kill us while the other is resisting it.

"Echo." I whisper. She whimpers slightly and goes to make a step towards us. A loud whistling noise stops her and before I know it a ball of fire replaces Echo. My body is flung back by the force of the explosion. A ringing slices through my eardrum as I stand up and run towards Echo. In a circle of charred grass lays her mangled and burnt body. Her once beautiful yellow eyes are now glazed over as I stare at her dead body.

"Noooo! Echo!" I scream at the top of my lungs. "Noo!" My knees fail me and I fall to the ground.

Eleven years worth of memories flood through my mind. When she first hatched and earned her name. The time she protected Charlie from one of Blue's tantrums and got injured badly. Just mere hours ago when she bonded with Gray. Something sharp touches my hand. When I look down I see it's one of her talons. The one raptors are famous for. Long and curved they use it as their own personal opposable thumb. I grab it and stick it into the pocket of my leather jacket. A momentum of what happened to my sweet Echo. My dad walks over and winces at the sight of her body. No matter how many times he says he doesn't care about these animals I know he loves them just as much as I do.

"Baby we need to go." He whispers but my eyes won't leave her body. He sighs and grabs me, dragging me towards the bike. I get on and wrap my arms around him. When I do another wave of tears leaves me. Then we're off with Blue and Delta chasing us. They run off into the woods after something and I see what when we get onto the road. A mile ahead Blue and Delta are trying to attack the truck Zach and Gray are in. They electrocute one while the other goes for Claire. Dad speeds up but by the time we get to them the raptors are gone.

"Jump into the back!" My dad yells.

I do as told and as he lines up with the truck I jump and land ungracefully on the hard metal. I get up and close the doors before looking at Zach and Gray.

"You guys ok?" I ask.

"We're fine. But, what about you? What happened out there?" Zach looks worried.

"Echo's dead."