Chapter 12

When I wake I find myself outside of the docks. Soldiers run outside and point their guns at Blue. I weakly hold my hand up to stop them.

"Hold your fire! There's a civilian with it!" Someone yells.

Blue stops right in front of the large building and calls out as loud as she can. Over and over the sound travels through her strong body. My body becomes tired and I start to slip into darkness once again. But, not before I see my dad run through the doors.

"Maya!" He yells but I've already slipped away.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The annoying noise won't stop and it seems to be multiplying as I regain consciousness. My eyes open to the ceiling of an ambulance. I look around and find I'm hooked up to a bunch of wires. Groaning I pull each of the needles out of my arms and slowly sit up. My ribs protest at the movement. A nurse comes by and looks at me. Giving me some crutches because I can't put any weight on my permanently scarred leg. I've been changed into a short pair of shorts and a black tank top. The long jagged wound is held together by a bunch of stitches. Slowly I push myself out of the truck and look around. Hundreds of people line the building on cots. I spot Zach, Gray, and Claire with their family a few yards away. Dad is a few cots down talking with an elderly couple. I smile as his eyes connect with mine. His eyes fill with joy and love. As fast as I can I hop towards him. Being fully functional he reaches me first. Right beside us is Zach and his family. My crutches drop to the floor as my arms wrap around dad. His familiar embrace sends me back to when I was a little girl and had no worries.

"Daddy." My head buries into his chest.

"I thought I lost you baby girl." His voice is ruff.

I hear a gasp off to the side making me look over. A woman who I'm guessing is Zach and Gray's mom looks behind me. Using dad for support I turn around to be met with those yellow eyes.

"What the hell is that?!" The woman shrieks.

"That's Blue mom. She's a velociraptor and that's Maya, Owen's daughter. They train the raptors." Gray informs her.

"Blue." I smile and hop over to my beautiful raptor.

She calls out to me as I wrap my arms around her. When I pull back I stroke her head. Most of the people in the building are staring at me but I don't really care. Blue's eyes take down my body until they rest on my wound. Growling she leans down and sniffs it. Her snout lightly presses against it making me flinch and lose my balance. Before I can fall strong arms catch me. I look up and see Zach. I smile as he turns me around and hugs me.

"Hey." I laugh.

"Hi." He chuckles.

I pull back only to have a small body crash into me. My ribs ache at the jolt. "Hey kiddo." I wheeze.

"Ok I think that's enough activity for right now." Dad comes up with my crutches and leads me to the cot across from the others. Blue comes and sits right next to me.

"How are you feeling?" Claire asks her flaming red hair is a rats nest on the top of her head.

"Like a building fell on top of me." I shrug. Out of the corner of my I see dad flinch. I squeeze his shoulder and he smiles at me.

"What are we going to do now?" I ask.

My dad shrugs. "I don't know yet. Just go with the flow."

Laughing I punch him in the arm. "Always the responsible one dad."