Stars, he loved him. - PureCacao

[PureCacao hurt/comfort]

A/N: This is a cross-post from my ao3 fanfic, i'm thinking about posting it here to, but eh, so here's a chapter instead.

For brief context, White Lily is 'dead' in this AU, it's a future one where the dark flour war had ended.

Somehow, the days always left with the brightest light.

Rays of golden sun that bled through curtains and stained-glass windows flooded the vanillian tiles with a warmth that wrapped each resident into a comfort that many thought they'd forgotten.

Blueberry and Grape birds sang in the distance, their ruffled feathers seemingly finding their ways drifting to the grounds of the floating castle. (It is said that if a Grape bird feather were to land on your head un-manipulated, good fortune was soon to come.)

Luckily, with sunsets like this one, Pure Vanilla was able to rest.

Well- not fully rest, but he didn't have any more duties to fulfill, so rest enough.

His gentle and warm hands drifted across his small bookshelves within the corners of his walls, like little cabinets of curiosities, as each book was filled with imaginary wonder or scientific beauty, his favorites.

Soon as he pulled a book for choice, a smile spread onto his face as his fingers caressed the bumpy cover, going over each tiny little ingrained dot, built for individuals just like him, individuals with very limited eye-sight.

"Orphid," he called out softly, gaining the attention of his sentient orchid staff, whose eyes barely drifted open, still clearly tired from the war, despite it having passed around a week by now. "-do you want to read with me? I believe this one is about the discovery of star-based magic and how it revolutionized cookie-kind, isn't that interesting?" His voice glided across each word like gentle winds against a sunflower, sweet melodies playing out from his mouth as he only spoke. (He would craft wonders if he knew how to properly sing.)

Of course, Orphid closed its eye in disinterest, leaving Pure Vanilla on his own with his book as he let out a small chuckle, and went to sit down.

Fingers smoothly tracing over each dot he felt, the words and world forming in his mind as his eyes remained shut, not needing vision for such lovely experiences.

He hadn't had the time to read much books lately, or ever; typically he would use the help of his staff, who would be just as interested as he was surrounding small things such as the indications of a bird's tweets.

His fingers had somewhat forgotten the sense of feeling the bumps and deciphering within his mind, so much so that his pace would falter at more bulky words, or that he would suddenly find himself forgetting a few letters and needing to backtrack to find his place again.

No matter, it was still fun to practice this skill once again, plus the content was highly intriguing.

As the sun hid into the mountains more, the time passed with the clouds and wind, and then a knock at his door.

The monarch raised his head in confusion, as he conceded, "Come in." A large figure opened the door, darker tones and cool colors being so suddenly lit up like a fire with warmth as he entered the room, and though Pure Vanilla couldn't quite see it, he could feel the mutual smile melt across each others faces.

"Dark Cacao, my dear!" He pushed himself up, hands lifting into the embrace of his king, his husband, his greatest comrade to ever fight alongside in battle. Warmth passed through one another as the fabric of their clothes collided, perhaps even being twisted in the two's tight embrace.