Ch. 3 - Smoky Potato part 2 (Eddie)

Continuation of previous chapter...

*****

Sunday, September 3rd

Jeff steered the van onto a small road with a large sign that read Blue Ridge Campground. Looking past the sign, hazy mountains stood tall as a backdrop, almost as if they were painted against the sky. The Smoky Mountains, they went on for as far as his eyes could see, each curve sloping and graceful as they wrapped invisible arms to create a comforting embrace. They were wild and free and untamed, an odd thing to find comfort in perhaps, but it was everything he wanted to be... yet too fearful of where that path may lead him.

The road they traveled down appeared to be never-ending as it disappeared underneath a canopy of green leaves. Somehow, the bleakness of the sky overhead made everything seem more lush, more green. The nature came alive around him, breathing out its existence as the rain left iridescent droplets that shone brightly as they coated each leaf, each blade of grass, each flower that sprouted from the earth. It was beautiful, the gift that Mother Nature had given them, unworthy as humans all were, and Eddie found himself aching for a different type of thrill aside from surfing. Exploration at its finest. There would be time to delve into that feeling later though, after step one was successfully completed.

Impress the Seattle guys.

He could do that. Sure, no problem. If he kept telling himself that, maybe he could manifest it to become a reality.

"We're here," Jeff announced as the road opened up into a large clearing.

There were a few RVs and tents situated within some of the available circles that were arranged for groups of campers, with grills and spots for campfires in the center of each circle. A few narrow roads and trails were shooting off and disappearing into the trees, and Eddie took note of a small building towards the back of the clearing. He guessed it probably contained toilets and showers, other necessities maybe for those staying in tents. At least he would never have to worry about taking his shits in the woods.

"This is us," Jeff said, stopping the van next to a sizable RV. "The guys will be in there."

He pulled the keys out of the ignition and opened his door, then noticed Eddie had made no move to leave his seat.

"Come on. It'll be fine," he encouraged.

Eddie took a deep breath, exhaled, and reached behind the middle console to grab his duffle. This was it. There really was no backing out now. What would he have done anyway? Jump out of the car and take off running through the woods? No, he needed to do this. He could do this.

You've sang in a band before, dumbass, he told himself as he shut the passenger door and paused to stare ahead at the RV. It's not like this was completely new.

He followed behind Jeff across the grass towards the RV. Voices could be heard filtering through an open window the closer they got to their destination. The knots in his stomach had made a full return, growing until they had tripled in size, and they were now coupled with the sensation of his heart inching up towards his throat. Yet, somehow his feet continued to propel him forward. Up the few stairs to where Jeff opened the door, he stepped aside to make room, and Eddie found himself standing in the living space of the RV, three sets of new eyes staring at him as he edged further into the room.