Ch. 5 - Cheese Danishes at the Brew A Bean (Eddie)

The barista finally makes an appearance...

*****

Chapter song:
"Oceans" - - Pearl Jam

*****

Monday, September 4th

Someone was walking on his head. No, that wasn’t right. Someone was dancing on his head. He was at some kind of party, sitting on a log in front of a campfire. The sky was clear; he could see the stars twinkling above him, the smoke from the fire swirling up and fading away into the night. There was music playing, although he could vaguely hear it because of the rhythmic thudding on his skull, but it was there, along with the laughter and chatter coming from the small crowd of people. Eddie couldn’t make out what they were saying though, and most of their faces were blurred, so he was unable to see who they were. He could actually only hear one voice, sounding muffled and far away. 

Her face was clear.

It was Mel.

She wasn’t far away however; she was seated right next to him, sharing his log. Her face was twisted into a scowl, brown eyes narrowed and red lips curled in frustration. Why did she look so angry? He tried to focus on what she was saying, but it was so hard with the dancing. She was relentless though, and she kept pushing and pushing until… 

Finally…

“Do something.”

What was he supposed to do?

“Don’t just sit there.”

Should he be standing?

“This is such a waste of time. What’s wrong with you?”

So many things… 

He had to turn away from the looks of disgust that Mel was directing at him. Coupled with the beating his head was enduring, it was too much to take. Why though? What did he do this time? Whatever it was, he would apologize. He just had to wait… 

Wait… 

The timing wasn't right.

It was then that he noticed where the music was coming from. On the other side of the fire, another log sat directly across from his. Three people sat side by side on the log, and one stood behind them. Mike was there, at the end of the log, focused on playing his guitar. His fingers moved so quickly, they were almost a blur… like the faces. Dave stood behind him, playing the bongos with his eyes closed. Stone sat in the center of the log. He was supposed to be playing too, but instead he was pointing at Eddie and laughing. Jeff sat on the other side of Stone, ignoring his guitar in favor of staring at Eddie… full of pity. 

Maybe when the music stopped, the dancing would too.

“Will you just fucking sing, you dumbass?”

That was Mel again.

Was he supposed to be singing? How was he supposed to sing? Didn’t she see the person dancing on his head? He should tell her.

As soon as he was able to, he would…

It just wasn't the right time.