Ch. 11 - A Friend in California part 2 (Emmy)

Heyo! I'm back! Hope you all have been doing well.

Didn't really mean for this chapter to turn into three parts... but anyway... here's part two.

*****

Continuation of previous chapter...

*****

Tuesday, September 5th

Nothing was wrong.

Emmy panicked when she first heard Dani's words, assuming something disastrous had happened, fearing the worst. It was the frame of mind she was in, leading her to jump to conclusions. Coupled with Dani's urgent tone, it wasn't so implausible for her thoughts to veer far off the beaten path, into a wilderness of sorts. Dani's call had woken her up in a way though, from the dazed stupor she found herself in as she lay nude and unmoving on that rug. The tree of life. Maybe it healed her in a way too. Better even than the cold sink. Either way, worrying about someone else could foster that waking-up effect in and of itself. No time to wallow when there were other people to think about.

Not that the wallowing was undeserved… but… 

She felt… okay… strangely enough.

Okay enough to be answering the door for some people she hadn't seen in quite some time. She did, however, pace the floor for a few good minutes while waiting, gnawing on her bottom lip and wondering if they would somehow be able to tell what happened. Here in this very apartment. Just a room over. It wasn't the first time but… maybe… maybe it would be the last. 

Only when she was able to convince herself that, no, none of them were telepathic, she took a restless seat on the edge of the couch, leg bouncing in anticipation as she waited… 

The resounding knock cracked like a whip as it shattered the silence, cutting through her racing thoughts. 

Her rear slipped off the couch, feet stumbling as she tried to reach the door. 

And in spite of everything, a ghost of a smile crept over her face as she reached for the knob. Knowing who would be waiting on the other side.

"Emmy, long time no see," a smiling face greeted her when the door opened.

"Jeff!" On an average day, she would have winced at the squeal in her voice, but it wasn’t an average day. 

She launched herself into his offered hug.

Jeff put her in the mind of a giant teddy bear, he and Chris Cornell both – from what she remembered. While she'd only been around Chris last year for a brief time, she held a keen recollection of his hugs rivaling Jeff's. And she had to be honest with herself; she needed that hug.

Lily's freckled face came into view then, always warm, always feeling like the home she wished she'd had. She engulfed Emmy in a one-armed hug, her other hand carrying what looked like a bag full of knitting supplies. "Emmy, it's so good to see you!"

Emmy buried her face into Lily's thick hair. "I know. I've missed you all so much. I haven't seen you in so long.”

Lily pulled away, her smile fading as her head tilted in concern. There must have been something there, something that caused her face to soften, wrapping Emmy up once more in a brief hug. "Are you okay?" she whispered in her ear before leaning back to peer into Emmy's eyes.