14

Cress sat next to Thorne. Everyone was still in their seats, waiting for Winter to tell everyone 'something important.' All of the chairs had been moved to create a circular space for whatever she was going to do.

Finally, she stood up into the dais, hand laced with Jacin's. His other had was behind his back.

"Hello friends. I am here to tell you something important." Cress felt Thorne stiffen. He had one hand on his knee, and the other in his pocket, fiddling with something. Cress touched his hurt cheek; the scratches were fading away now, but was still visible. He looked at her for a brief second, before giving his usual grin and facing Winter again.

"Days ago, I found my mother's diary. She said that in her family there was a tradition, dating to before the very First World War struck."

Gasps of wonder and confusion arose, and most of her friends seemed to be staring at Cress. She fidgeted in her seat, suddenly uncomfortable.

"The bride would throw the flowers. At first glance, I thought it meant that whoever caught them would receive good luck. But when I read more, I realised that it meant that whoever caught the flowers would be married next."

Jacin took the hand from behind his back and revealed a bouquet of flowers, handiwork that she recognised from Scarlet's wedding.

"Everybody, to the centre please," Winter asked. "But can my dear friends please be closer to the front? Thank you!"

As requested, everyone moved into the space created, and Cress joined Scarlet, Wolf, Kai, Cinder and even a sleepy Juliette near the dais. Thorne stayed behind her.

Winter turned her back. "Is everyone ready?" She asked. Jacin gave a nod.

"1,2,3!" She shouted. She lifted the bouquet above her head- but it never went up.

Instead, Winter spun back round, and walked up to Cress. She handed the flowers to her, and she realised that they were not Winter's flowers, but her white roses.

Cress clutched the flowers with both hands. "Winter, aren't you-"

She stopped mid sentence. All of her friends were looking at her, smiling at her confusion, all except-

She turned to face Thorne. He wasn't standing, one hand in his pocket like she had last seen him. He was on one knee, holding a white velvet box to her face. And in that box was a ring. A small diamond ring, small enough to fit on her fingers.
Cress blinked. She blinked again. She stared at him. Thorne looked terrified, as though she would disappear any second, but still stared back.

"Cress." He started. He took in a deep, shaken breath. "Aces Cress, I don't have the faintest idea of what to say. But I'm going to try. Cress, you knew that I would try with every girl I met, but you didn't care. You guided me through a desert and helped in a revolution. I almost killed you-" his voice cracked at that. "But you forgave me. Even when I tried to show you not to waste you time, you still stayed with me. Cress, I love you."

He adjusted his footing and stared into her eyes. "Crescent Moon Darnel, will you marry me?"

Cress blinked. She blinked again. She looked at Thorne. Thorne looked at her.

"Yes," she whispered. "Yes, I will marry you."

Cress hadn't realised how silent the gardens had been until the cheers arose. People ran to their partners as music and dancing began. Thorne put the ring on her finger. It looked out of place; she didn't deserve to wear these jewels.

Using the chaos to their advantage, Thorne pulled her to behind the dais, out of sight. He pressed his forehead to hers.

"You will?" He whispered softly. "You really will?"

Touching his scars yet again, she answered, "Of course I will. Carswell Thorne, the time I have spent with you has been the best time of my life."

"Even the desert?" He asked.

"Especially the desert," she said. Thorne looked at her and only the mischievous glint in his eyes warned her of him leaning in and kissing her.

                                       *

Cress pulled the last clip out of her hair. She tossed it on the table and took a wipe out of her vanity case. She started wiping down the makeup Iko had insisted that she wear and looked at herself in the mirror. She had had an exhausting day, but a sly grin stayed stuck to her face. She bent below the table to put the wipe in the bin. When she sat up, she hit her head on the desk with a loud thunk.

She cursed, a habit she had developed whilst on her travels with Thorne, and sat up. She steadied herself with the desk and tried to ease herself into the chair again, but she didn't need to; gentle hands were placed under her shoulders, hoisting her up onto it. She turned around. Thorne.

"Thought I saw my damsel," he said, placing his hands in her shoulders. They were both facing the mirror.

"I am not a damsel," she huffed, crossing her arms.

"Are to me," he declared, and took the hairbrush off the desk.

"What are you-" she started, but before she could finish he was bringing the brush lightly down her hair.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Proving you are a damsel. Now, take the rest of your makeup off while I brush your hair."

She did as she was told and starting clearing the same side of her face. She left the wipe on the desk this time. She brought a fresh one down the middle, completing one half of her face. The difference wasn't striking, but you could tell what was her and what was fake.

"Thorne?" She asked.

"Uh-huh," he replied, concentrating on not hurting her hair.

"Which side do you prefer?" She gestured to her face.

He looked at her in the mirror. Without hesitation, he went to the just cleaned cheek and kissed it.

"I like the real Cress." He replied. "Not some other fake girl covered in mounds of powder."

She giggled, making his flash his signature grin.

"What?"

"I dunno," he said shrugging. "I guess I just like it when you smile."