32

TRIGGER WARNING
She had been cleaned, all the sticky blue gel taken from her hair. She had been placed into medical scrubs, and was now resting on a bed.

Outside the tank.

Fully healed.

Rosetta was on a bed, outside the tank, fully healed.

Well, not fully healed. Carlos had been told that her body would be very weak at the moment. But give it about a week, she would wake up from her heavy sedation, and would be fit to return home. With Adrik.

Some time had passed since the fight on Luna. Well, a year was still a lot of time.

The Empress and Emperor had returned to the Commonwealth last year, and Carlos and Adrik (And Rosetta, if she was conscious) had been invited to Cress and Mr Thorne's wedding later this month. There, he would also be able to see the Empress's daughter, Ella, for the first time.

He had told his worried mom that he might be away for a while, and from looking at the
news, his mother understood.

Carlos had stayed in the small house in RM9 and had taken care of Adrik, treating him like a son. And hopefully Rosetta would help raise him too, after they watched the video recording that Mrs Petrov had made.

He thought he understood now. Slightly.

Melina must have know that she wouldn't survive the way home, because she hadn't.

Melina Petrov, Russian Scientist, had died in a tragic accident. No one knew how it had happened.

So she must have known her fate, which was why she had made the video, and made Adrik his ward.

Adrik was a very good child, at only 7 years of age ( His birthday has passed since Melina had died). However, he was quite scared of fire, jumping away whenever Carlos turned on the stove to made him food.

He was sleeping in a small bed the nurses had placed just for him, so he could give Carlos company when we he stayed with Rosetta.

Carlos had really grown to love him.

But now Carlos was looking at his other love, Rosetta. She was sleeping, heavy under sedatives, and her hair had been collected and placed into a side braid, the doing of another nurse.

Her hands were clasped on top of her stomach clutching a rose. That was the work of Adrik.

He wanted over to her and found himself staring at her face. She was so beautiful, so brave, so pure. She was too good for him.

Then why did he still want to kiss her?

Carlos had read Adrik several story tales, one where the prince had saved the princess with a simple kiss.

"Are you her prince?" He had asked him.

Carlos had shaken his head and given a small laugh. "If she'll take me."

But now, in front of Rosetta, he couldn't help but wonder whether she would take him. Whether she would take on the task her mother had left for them and raise Adrik together.

Story tales didn't exist, surely, and one kiss could never do anything.

But it also couldn't do any harm.

So Carlos found him self leaning over her body, and pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"I'm so, so sorry," he whispered.

He pulled back, his heart pounding as he felt all her soft breaths. Then they weren't soft anymore, and slowly began to turn erratic.

Carlos jumped away just as Rosetta jumped up, before wincing and leaning back in her elbows. Her eyes were squeezed shut, and she was groaning softly.