01.1: the pharmacy

Where our hero recieves an unlikely surprise

_________

Lori smiled as she watched her son feed the chickens, up and healthy.

"Hey." A voice called, causing her to look up, to reveal her husband slowly walking toward her, a sad look painted across his face. He took a seat next to her. "So, Hershel's been tracking the days." He stuttered, playing with his hands. "It's Cassie's birthday today."

Everyone's faces dropped at the mention of the name of the lost member of the family. "I think we should do something." He continued, reaching his hand out so his son could come and hug him.

"Like a vigil?" Lori asked, staring at her husband.

"Sorta. Just recognising who she was, how she died. How did she die?" Rick asked, placing a supportive hand on his wife's shoulder.

"Shane wouldn't say." Lori answered, looking down at her feet.

"He just said he lost her." Carl finished, burying his head into his father's neck.

"I'll talk to him at gun practice today. We need to put her to rest."

_____________

♤♤

As everyone aimed at their targets Rick pulled his best friend to the side, speaking quietly. "It's my little girls birthday today." Rick stuttered, loading his gun. "It would've been her birthday today."

Shane sighed, inching his way toward his friend. "Hey, man. It's okay."

"None of this is okay."

"At least she wasn't in pain." Shane consoled, choking back something strange in his throat.

"How- How did she die?" Asked Rick, turning toward his best friend.

Shane stuttered, for this was one question that he couldn't answer.

_____________

◇◇

It had only been a few months since the apocalypse started, and yet so much had gone wrong. After the ordeal with Shane, Cassie hadn't seen her family again, and her current group (Tim, Maria, Rudy, Minnow & her), had been forced apart a week and a half ago. She'd managed to catch up with Rudy and Olive (the dog), and they were trying to track the rest - to no avail.

"Hurry up!" Cassie called out, trying to keep up with the dog, who was keen on a scent. "Olive, slow down!" She yelled as her clunky boots sped down the road. Olive stopped at a house, scratching at the door.