02.11 - would you put me down?

✩。:*•

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

"We're going home." Wasn't a sentence that Cassie had expected to hear. There was no home anymore, just the fleeting memory of before.

Cassie hadn't been in King County since the fall, where she'd killed her first walker, and been left to die.

It wasn't home, not anymore. She wasn't quite sure where her home was now, the feeling of comfort the four walls and a roof had once provided now a feeling that followed her as she followed her friends.

It lingered in their smiles, and every time someone asked her if she was keeping up, or if she was okay. That was home now.

So they weren't going home, they were going back, and was somehow astronomically different.

She watched the road, letting her mind wander as the trees blended together, a portrait of blurry greens, blotched with the occasional stain of red.

She could feel Carl's head on her shoulder, roughly digging his forehead into her arm. She rolled her eyes, gently pushing his head so it rested more comfortably on her. Carl cleared his throat, shifting his position and returning his head to where it dug into his sister.

She sighed, shifting him again, only to have him return his head again. Realising he was trying to annoy her, she shoved his head away roughly with her palm, knocking him flat on the seats.

"Dude," She sighed, furrowing her eyebrows, trying to hide her amusement. "What are you doing?"

"I'm tired," He replied, feigning innocence.

"Then sleep on your side." She teased, pushing him toward the opposite window.

"I don't like that side," He groaned, dramatically dropping his head in her lap as she rolled her eyes.

"Seriously, Carl?" She exclaimed, pushing him off her lap.

"Stop arguing," Rick interjected, his voice laced with an amusement that no one had heard in weeks.

"He started it." Cassie kissed her teeth, leaning her head against the window, doing her best to ignore her brother.

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Rudy busied himself counting bullets and guns, repeating the process again and again, always coming to the same conclusion.

There wasn't enough.

"You good, Rud'?" Daryl asked, walking up to the table and grabbing a gun.

"I'm fine," He replied dryly, reaching out to snatch the gun from the man's hand. "And don't touch anything, I have a system."

Daryl scoffed, gently placing the gun down, raising his arms in surrender. "What's got your panties in a bunch?"

"I'm fine." He pushed past Daryl, moving him out the way as he adjusted the gun he'd put down.