01.4: the calm before.

In which our hero smiles

_______________________

Rick sat on the couch with his daughter, eating a large tub of ice cream and watching trashy television.

"We should probably go catch him in a minute." He said, grabbing another dollop of ice cream.

Cassie smiled, pushing the tub closer toward him so he didn't spill any on the couch. "Nah, let him think he's won a little longer."

"Alright." He agreed, turning his head toward his daughter. "How school going, by the way?"

"Could be better. Help if you didn't insist on dropping me off in a police car." She replied, shoveling ice cream into her mouth.

Rick playfully furrowed his eyebrows. "It's a cool ride."

"It is not." She scoffed, a little ice cream falling onto her lap.

"It is."

She got up, moving the ice cream into the kitchen. "Drop me off in a ferrari, and then tell me your cop car's a nice ride."

"Okay. Next time I'll get Shane to drop you off to school." He countered.

"Don't you dare. He's embarrassing." She demanded, running back to the couch.

"How is he more embarrassing than your daddy's cop car?"

Cassie sat back down beside her father, tucking her hair behind her ear. "The girls say he looks like he's one stressful situation away from balding."

Rick looked down, trying not to laugh. "That's a.... creative insult."

"It's fourteen year old girls, what do you expect?"

"I don't know."

"And you should see the fights they get into because of it." Cassie said, bouncing about on the couch.

"Are they bad?" He jested, pulling her down so she stopped bouncing.

"Worse than bad."

"You getting into any of these fights?" He asked, tickling her slightly.

She lay her head down on her fathers lap, allowing his hand to rest ontop of her hair. "Don't worry, dad. I'm a pacifist." She paused. "Mostly."

"Alrighty then."

__________________
◇◇◇

"Have you seen Cassie?" Rick asked, marching about camp. He needed to leave soon, but he wasn't going to do it without talking to her. He'd asked Lori to do it, but she'd said that it had to be him.