02.12 - arrow on the doorpost

"and I am relieved that I left my room tidy, they'll think of me kindly when they come for my things

"and I am relieved that I left my room tidy, they'll think of me kindly when they come for my things."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Cassie leant against Daryl's motorcycle, twisting her sword in her hand as she waited for the Governor and his men to show up.

She was growing more and more impatient by the second, her stomach heavy with doubt.

It seemed like a trap.

"This is such a mistake," She professed, her eyes nervously scanning the abandoned lot.

"How so?" Hershel asked, leaning forward in his seat. "We're negotiating, that's good."

"If he is even half of what Vincent was, he's not going to negotiate." She sighed, running her hand nervously through her hair. "I mean, he just shot at John, no warning, tied us up and tried to take our shit. All they asked for was names."

She felt her lip quivering, a display of vulnerability that she hadn't let herself show since the farm. There was something about Hershel's presence, like a warm hug, that just made it seem okay to fall apart.

"I can't let it go." She admitted. "I did, and I was fine. I was doing so well."

She clenched her jaw, kicking her feet against the gravel as she tried to hold back tears. "Then he came along and just hit the reset button, and it's like he's haunting me all over again"

"Healing takes time." Hershel explained. "It's not just going to go away because you tossed it on a fire."

"It felt like it did."

"Sometimes it does. I'm proud of you for coming this far." He smiled, the girl smiling back as she wiped her tears, a salty wet laugh escaping her lips.

Daryl slowly walked his way back up, nodding at the pair as he did so.

"He's already in there," He panted, fiddling with his crossbow. "Sat down with Rick."

Cassie bit her lip, spinning her sword nervously in her hand. "Now its a waiting game."

Daryl nodded with a grunt, fiddling with his crossbow as he eyed Cassie.

"Cassie, can I talk to you?" He asked.

"Sure." She nodded, sheathing her sword and leading him a few feet away.

"Is Rudy-" He began, swinging his arms absentmindedly. "Is Rudy mad at me?"

Cassie sighed deeply, pursing her lips before reluctantly nodding, grimacing as she saw Daryl's expression drop.

"What do you expect?" She asked. "He looks up to you."

Daryl ran a hand over his face. "He said he understood," He lamented, his voice quivering and breaking as he tried to draw in enough breath to cover it.