01.7: beside the dying fire

In which our hero-

In which our hero-

____________________________

Cassie coughed, spewing cold dirt from her mouth. Her fingers clutched at the hard earth, trying to stand, or at least sit up. She felt as though the air had been completely knocked out of her – locking her body in a state of painful shock.

"Look at that." That daunting voice boomed, his boots coming into view, barely an inch from her face.

He circled menacingly around her, his boots clonking around her body, stopping to press his bodyweight against her left hand. Leaning down, he pulled her up by her hair, bringing her up so her ear was level with his mouth.

"What are you doing out here?"

She bit down on her lip, trying to stop herself from crying out – to show her fear. She wouldn't dare give him the satisfaction. And whilst she had spent most of the day wallowing in her own pity, it was now time for her to step up, be brave. Move on. She had to.

"Fuck....you." She mumbled through her pained breathing, thrashing her right hand against him, her left still held down by his foot.

His heavy breathing was harsh in her ear, reminding her of the power he had. He was bigger, stronger – and better liked. He could probably kill her, and no-one would think anything of it. The thought was terrifying, enough to make the girl either give up fighting for her life or fight even harder.

She had survived out there, far less sheltered than he was. She had killed so many walkers that she had lost count. She had survived the ambush at the hotel. She had survived being shot at. She had survived being beaten. She was smart. She was fast. She was a survivor.

And she'd certainly not let a man like Shane Walsh change that.

With one deep breath, she forcefully brought her head backward, colliding strongly with his jaw. As he reeled backward, she took her opportunity, slipping out of his grasp, clumsily stumbling toward a nearby tree. It was hard to move in her injured state, but that wasn't going to stop her – nothing would.

Even angrier – if that was even possible – Shane bounded toward her, grabbing her by the shoulders, and pushing her onto her knees. The girl barely flinched as he did so, her only reaction a sigh when he pulled out his gun and pointed it right between her eyes.

Once again, she was being held at gunpoint by an egotistical maniac. If she had a nickel-

"You think you can just run away?" He bellowed, nothing but insanity behind his eyes.

"Yes." The girl replied, blankly staring down the barrel of his gun. She wasn't stupid – she knew that Shane can and would shoot her. The way his fingers were hosting the trigger, the darting eyes – it was obvious. Whilst he wanted to hurt the girl, that bullet wasn't meant for her.