02.14 - welcome to the tombs

"survive

"survive."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Rudy's hands ached and cramped, defiantly begging to stop as he secured yet another booby-trap to the wall. The war was looming, its presence urging everyone to work harder, determined not to lose their home and their family.

He surveyed his work, his hands on his hips as his tongue ran decisively over his bottom lip, meticulously checking his knots.

"Looks good," He heard Daryl's gruff voice behind him, his steps as silent as ever as he walked to stand beside the eighteen-year-old. "That knot needs tightening."

He followed the redneck's gaze, his fingers deftly finding the knot, and intertwining with the rough fabric, retying it with a grunt of effort.

"Is that better?" He asked, his eyes flitting between Daryl and his knot.

The man grunted in response, his head bobbing slightly as he traipsed past Rudy, his eyes finding the shotgun that rested against the wall.

"Got enough ammo in that thing?" He asked.

Rudy nodded, his hands finding the shotgun that was once his father's, now able to be held comfortably in his grip. "Full as it can be," He confirmed, his fingers running back and forth over the cold metal.

The redneck nodded in approval, his hands fishing in his pockets, before he pulled out a small cardboard box, throwing it at the boy who caught it easily, eyebrows furrowing as he read the packaging.

Bullets.

"Just in case." Daryl nodded, his gaze softening as he caught the boy's grateful smile.

"Thanks." Rudy smiled, pocketing the bullets with a nod.

Daryl nodded, turning to leave the way he came, before stopping, his hands twitching nervously at his side.

"Hey, Rud'?" He began, slowly walking towards the boy. "Whatever happens today, I'm proud 'a ya."

Rudy's jaw dropped, his eyebrows lifting in sync with his stomach. Somehow, Daryl's approval had come to matter to him, his pride some sort of unattainable jewel.

Daryl had been his mentor, aiding him in a way no-one else could. He never treated him like he was weak, but like a plant that just needed water to become strong.

"Thanks Daryl." His lips were held tightly in a line, fighting the joyful tears brewing in his eyelids.

Daryl smiled, adjusting his crossbow as he turned back towards the door frame. "Be safe, kid." He muttered.

"You too."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩