seven

Almost a week had passed since Damien never attended. The guilt in his stomach growing more with every working moment. He had tried drowning it with work, but it was still there in the back of his mind. The week wasn't the most labour intensive at Smosh, he had to attend a few meetings to discuss video ideas and give notes on some edits but he didn't have much time with his friends there. He had been to a few voiceover recordings and had received a script for an audition that he had to record over the weekend.

He kept himself busy, but he needed to talk to someone about how he felt. He was very open and honest with his therapist about the situation. Damien knew he shouldn't be so involved in this stranger's emotions and life but he couldn't leave her alone when she wasn't in the right state of mind. His therapist tried to relieve some of the guilt that was building, discussing how Damien was trying to fix Robyn and that he would burn himself out for continuing.

"How do you view this girl? Why do you think you want to help her?" His therapist asked openly. There was no judgement in his voice, just a calmly tone and willingness to listen,

"Umm, I don't know. She just seems, lost?" Damien puzzled, trying to find the right words to describe his view. His therapist looked knowingly at him, leaving a pause for Damien to fill. "She clearly needs help, some form of support system. It sounds like she just needs a friend. She just seems so broken and I just want to..." Damien stopped, a wave of realisation crashing through his body.

"What do you want Damien?" His therapist pushed. He knew Damien needed to say the words to allow him to process it. Damien's eyes fell to the floor, his head hanging is shame and disappointment.

"I want to fix her. But to fix her, I need to be strong. And she might not want to be fixed." Damien mumbled. His guilt rising to his throat, making him struggle to speak.

It was those words that drove Damien to distance himself from Robyn. He had still not replied, yet it didn't stop him opening her messages and listening to the voice note. He needed a friend, he needed advice. What would someone else do? She was clearly calling for help, he wasn't just imagining it because of some 'saviour complex' he was convincing himself that he had.

He arranged to meet Shayne, he felt like he was one of the few he could trust to give him solid advice. They were meeting at Damien's apartment. He had spent the morning tidying around and ensuring that his babies were behaving. He got sat down with a cup of coffee just as his doorbell rang. He buzzed Shayne in and poured another cup of coffee for his guest.

"Hey bro, you good?" Shayne smiled as he walked through the door. He slide his shoes off and placed them by the doorway before making his way over to the kitchen.

"I guess, trying to keep busy..." Damien mused quietly as he handed Shayne the coffee. "I'm sorta in my head a bit, I guess."

"Talk to Uncle Shayne," he chuckled as he sipped his coffee. Damien's eyes rolled back, maybe Shayne was a bad idea. "Life issues, work issues?"

"I mean, life? I don't know." Damien shrugged, the knot of guilt tightening in his chest. "Can I... umm, can I play you something?"

"Of course man, is it an audition recording or?" Shayne replied, his tone warm and supportive.

"No... it's, well it's not me. It's Robyn." Shayne looked confused, the name not meaning anything to the blonde haired male standing before him. "The girl. The wrong number one. You know the one I never went to see?" It finally clicked with Shayne as Damien reeled off as many ways to describe the individual that won't leave his brain alone.

"Why do you want to play me something she said?" Confusion returned to Shayne's tone. "Had something happened?"

"No, well, maybe, I don't know. She sent me this voice note the night I was meant to meet her and I've not heard from her since..." Damien realised he was speaking quickly so paused for a breath. "I think she's been drinking, and she sent me this and I haven't replied. I don't know what to say."