eleven

A few weeks had passed and Damien hadn't heard a thing from the one he couldn't stop thinking about. He kept his promise and didn't try to contact Robyn. That being said, he did spend some of his time checking on her Twitter to see if she what she was doing. She hadn't reciprocated his follow but he didn't expect her to. She had clearly been spooked by everything that happened that night. She had been posting fairly regularly, a mix of 'shit posts', makeup looks and some quote funny tweets. Damien could see that the attention had began to slow down and her tweets were gaining some attention but nothing nearly as rude and disrespectful as previously. He smiled at the thought, it may have blown his chances of a friendship but maybe this would give her the support and motivation she needed.

He found himself scrolling through her account as he stood in the kitchen at the office, waiting for his bagel to toast. The kitchen was quiet in comparison to normal. The hustle and bustle was nowhere to be seen. Oddly, he was thankful. His life had been so chaotic and busy recently that the quiet was refreshing. He chuckled to himself, smiling as he read Robyn's recent tweet. Her confidence seeming to grow over the passing weeks.

"Look at you smiling at your phone, who's the lucky one?" Courtney smirked as they walked into the kitchen, nudging Damien with their arm as they got closer.

"Oh, umm, no one," Damien's voice faltered. He hadn't exactly kept Robyn a secret, how could he hide her given the attention it gained on social media? He knew this wouldn't hold Courtney's curiosity for long but it was worth a shot.

"Well, whatever it is, it's so nice to see you back smiling again. Happy Dames is my favourite," Courtney smiled back. They didn't want to push much more, to Damien's joy, however the universe had different ideas.

"Smiling Damien? You've got to be joking!" Spencer burst through the door, Mountain Dew Kickstart in one hand and his phone in the other. "It can't be. This must mean one thing. Has she messaged..."

"No." Damien quickly interrupted, hoping Courtney was oblivious to the bundle of excitement that was their co-worker.

"So it was someone! I can't believe you didn't tell me, I thought we were besties!" Courtney faked sadness, hiding their face and pretending to cry. Damien sighed heavily, his eyes sending daggers to Spencer.

"Fine." He huffed, not wanting to bring up everything that happened again. "Short story, this girl messaged me accidentally and we sort of hit it off. Platonically, of course, nothing more at all. And well, we met and went for some food. She's new in town. Then, umm... well..." Damien began to stumble on his words. Thankfully, Spencer quickly took over.

"Some fans saw them and took to twitter. You've seen the tweets, right?" Courtney nodded, allowing Spencer to finish the story. "So yeah, she's freaked out and hasn't messaged him since."

"Oh bud..." Courtney sympathised with Damien. They could see how hurt he felt by it all. "Has she just vanished?"

"Not exactly. She's still active everywhere but with me, I didn't exactly say who I was. Just gave a really brief description, never mentioned Smosh or anything. Didn't want to be a brag, especially when she's just moved across the world to be here..."

"Wait, who? Someone moved here to be with you! That's so amazing!" Angela burst through the doors, pulling Damien into an overwhelmingly excitable hug. It took her a moment to see the looks on everyone's faces before she let go of Damien and coughed awkwardly. "Oh, umm, yeah so everyone had a good weekend?"

"Angela..." Chanse sighed as he walked into the room. He hadn't heard a thing but he could tell from the palpable tension and the heightened shoulders that she had done something.

"WHAT?! Am I the last to know... again?" Angela huffed as she made her way to the snack bar.

"No!" Damien said quickly and defensively. He felt a wave of anxiety wash over him again. This wasn't the conversation he really wanted this morning. "Hardly anyone knows, it was just... it's stupid. Let's just leave it. I'm, I'm gonna go and get some things prepared or something." With that Damien left, leaving a room of confusion and whispering theories as he escaped.