25. Denial

Hailey's pov

I feel a strong pair of arms wrapped around me before I even open my eyes. Slow circles are drawn on my back, soothing me awake as I listen to soft heartbeats. I shift my position a little, wrapping my arms around him while nestling my head in his neck.

I don't think I've ever felt this comfortable.

"Are you awake?"

Charles' voice makes me wide awake, my heart starts racing faster and I loosen my grip around him.

Are we literally cuddling right now?

I open my eyes slowly and I'm met with his face, looking down at me while I'm lying on his chest. I try putting some distance between us, turning to lie on my back instead.

We're close to each other. Too close.

Maybe inviting him to sleep in the same bed wasn't the best idea after all. Maybe I should have taken the couch.

"Sorry for ummh...invading your personal space." I apologise because I feel like I should.

"It's alright." Charles says with a raspy morning voice "How'd you sleep?"

"I slept...decently." I reply, which is obviously a lie.

"Really? Only decent?" Charles raises his eyebrows but I don't reply and thankfully, he doesn't push it.

"How'd you sleep?"

"It was hard for me to fall asleep." Charles says and turns to lie on his side while facing me, giving me his full attention.

"I should have warned you that I move around a lot in my sleep." I say, feeling guilty.

"It wasn't that, it's just...you said my name a lot in your sleep."

My eyes open wide when I hear him say that. There's no way...is there?

"You're joking right?" I ask and Charles shakes his head "No, I didn't."

"If you didn't actually fall asleep on top of me, I would have reached for my phone and taken a video." he giggles.

"So what? I was probably having a nightmare."

"It didn't sound like it." Charles says and I sit up in bed "Be careful or I'll start thinking you're obsessed with me or something."

"That's rich coming from you, you practically were watching me sleep."

"Wow slow down there, you were the one who said I could join you and you also were sleeping on my side of the bed. Don't blame me for it."

"And I'm leaving." I get up, already feeling a headache kicking in because of all the teasing this early in the morning and I start looking around for my suitcase. Charles looks at my every move.

"You sure you don't want to stay for breakfast?" He asks while getting up as well, one of his hands going through his bed-hair, trying to make it look decent but failing miserably by making it even more messier.

"And eat burned eggs? No thanks." I say sarcastically while picking up a shirt and Charles chuckles from behind me.

"I was thinking about my mom's waffle recipe but I've also managed to master the burned eggs."

"Sorry but..." I turn to look at him "I'm meeting up with Kika."

"Can I and Pierre join?" Charles asks as I finally pick an outfit I like.

Oh no.

I really didn't expect him to want to come. Any other day I wouldn't have minded but after what happened last night....I can't even think straight around him anymore.