33. Him Or Me

Hailey's pov

This is the end.

I'm walking through the paddock without people knowing that it's the last time, a thousand of thoughts clouding my head.

It was all Christian's doing. He didn't want my resigning to be announced to the media yet, which was completely weird.

Shouldn't we have announced it a long time ago?

Instead, Christian has left me with the weight and guilt of keeping it a secret from everyone. Not that it makes a huge difference for me.

It's all going to hurt the same when it all goes down.

I check my watch before taking it off. 20 minutes before the race starts. 20 minutes before I get inside the car and race it one last time.

I gulp down, trying to shove away all the feelings going throughout my entire body.

"You look nervous." Kika places both of her hands on my shoulders, her excited voice lightning my mood a bit "Since when is Hailey Garcia nervous before a race?"

I slightly smile, trying not to give myself away.

"Yeah well...I just can't wait to get inside my car and start racing already."

"Don't worry. We all know you'll be bringing that fancy trophy home." Kika throws one of her arms around my shoulders and we walk together towards the Red Bull garage.

"It's Charles I'm worried about." I say.

"They managed to fix his car as good as they could in such a short time." Kika's voice is filled with hope but I sigh.

"He's starting from the back of the grid."

Kika's smile fades a bit before murmuring "I hope he manages to recover."

"Yeah, me too."

I turn towards Kika when we're in front of the garage, offering her a genuine smile.

"Thank you for being here." I wrap my arms around her, feeling thankful for all the moments we've spent together these past few months. In all this chaos...and male energy, Kika was literally like a breath of fresh air for me.

"Hailey, I love you too but why are you hugging me like I'm about to disappear?" Kika chuckles, patting me on the back "I will be cheering you on from the Alpine garage."

I loosen my hold from around her, chuckling along.

"Now get in there and show these men how to drive." She encourages me one last time before I walk inside.

Having put on my suit long ago, I just walk up to my car, waiting for the right time to climb right in. From the spot where I'm standing, I notice my mom, standing at a corner with a pair of headphones on, looking a bit anxious. Elliot, one of the team's engineers is standing right beside her since I told him to keep her company, hoping it will make this entire experience easier for her. Just before I look away, she catches my eyes and gives me the brightest of smiles and a thumbs up, which I return but I assume my smile isn't just as bright.

"Hailey."

I turn my head towards the voice, seeing Max with Hannah, his girlfriend behind me.

"Hey Max." I greet him and give the girl beside him a smile, which she doesn't return, before they approach me.

Max opens his mouth to speak but then stops and turns to look at his girlfriend "Do you mind if I talk to her in private?"

Hannah shifts her gaze from her boyfriend to me and she doesn't look pleased at all but she fakes a smile before murmuring a cold "Of course."