36. Trouble

Charles' pov

1 month ago.

"We should go out tonight, celebrate your win." Carlos says once we come up to his hotel room door "Once you're feeling less...grumpy." He teases, making me roll my eyes at him.

"I'm not grumpy." I say, trying to lose the angry look on my face.

"Nope. You're just a ray of sunshine."

"Fuck off, Carlos." I push Carlos playfully, turning to walk away when he calls my name.

"Charles." I stop in my steps to hear what he has to say "I know you don't need me to tell you this but...maybe you should avoid turning the paddock into a fighting ring."

I sigh, rubbing my eyes in frustration.

"Alright dad, I'll stay out of trouble."

"No, seriously." Carlos leans against his door "Not even five minutes later after your interaction with Hailey and you were on every front news page possible. That's not doing any good to your reputation."

My jaw clenches and I try my best to shove down the feeling of guilt creeping up on me when I rethink of the events of earlier today. Not my finest hours as a driver.

"You think I'm doing this on purpose?" I scoff "If you knew what she's like, you'd totally understand."

"I know what she's like." Carlos raises one of his eyebrows "She's been here with us for awhile and I can't see what's about her that you can't stand."

I give Carlos a glare.

"What? She's sweet and talented. I don't see where your problem stands."

"God, not you too!" I cross my arms around my chest, annoyed "She absolutely infuriates me and that dog that follows her around everywhere doesn't help the situation."

"Who?" Carlos asks confused "Max?"

I shrug.

"Come on now Charles." Carlos shakes his head disapprovingly "When are you and Max going to stop this whole war you got going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I smile sarcastically.

"Is this what the whole 'I hate Hailey' thing is?" Carlos goes back to standing upright "You're taking the anger you have for Max out on her?"

"I never said I hated her." I say and it's Carlos' turn to glare at me "I just don't necessarily like her."

"'I don't like her' my ass." Carlos scoffs "Then what is it? Don't tell me you're acting like this because she's not a man."

I furrow my brows and my face mirrors the expression on Carlos'.

"Mon dieu Carlos, who do you think I am?" I shake my head "Her being a woman has nothing to do with this."

Woman or men, I treat my rivals equally...expect for the fact that I usually don't watch the guys on the grid from a distance like I watch her.

"Thank God!" Carlos exhales "Because either way, she's so going to beat your ass."

"No but seriously, why is he around her 24/7?" I avoid Carlos' remark, putting forward the fact that I've never seen her without Max by her side. For some reason I don't like seeing them together. It makes me feel mad "Don't you think it's weird?"

"Don't make up fake assumptions Charles." Carlos scolds me "Seriously, stay out of it."

Being part of the public eye and a well known person like me, I know what it's like when people create fake assumptions about you. It isn't the best feeling in the world. but I just can't seem to let this go. There must be more between those two that is kept away from the press. At the end of the day Max is a man and Hailey is...well, she's Hailey.