Ruffians & Thugs

Tadashi was slightly disappointed that this girl didn't have to bring anything with her. That would have given him time to snoop the place for the bag. But then again, this girl was a strange one, so he didn't want to ask.

He screamed as he slid down her hair back down to the earth. The hair was slick on his hands and he was pretty sure he was going at seventy miles per hour.

"I'M GOING TO DIIIIIIEEEEEE!" he screamed.

Up in the tower, (Y/N) calculated until the very last second to pull on her hair. Tadashi landed safely on the ground. His knees buckled and he fell. (Y/N) giggled.

She stared out the window, judging if she should really do this. Mochi sat on her shoulder, ready to go wherever she goes.

Look at the world, so close, and I'm halfway to it. Look at it all, so big, do I even dare? Look at me-- there at last! I just have to do it. Should I? No. Here I go.

This is the first time she's disobeying her father and leaving the tower, after eighteen years, it was all she knew. Now... (Y/N) looked down, the grass so close she could feel it. The rushing water so loud she could feel its coldness.

From below, Tadashi called up, "Are you coming or not, Rainbow?"

(Y/N) took a deep breath. Then she jumped.

It was like the merry-go-round swing she was on the other day. Except this, it was actual fresh air that rushed around her. Delighted, she laughed. But when the ground was just beneath her, she stopped, staring at the green grass. For the first time, she noticed there was brown underneath it. It must be soil. Slowly, she lowered her bare foot, slightly afraid to touch the ground.

Tadashi watched her in fascination.

The tip of the blades of grass tickled the bottom of her feet. She jerked it up again.

Raising an eyebrow, Tadashi walked towards her. "What is it with you? Have you never actually left the tower or something?" he joked.

(Y/N) glared at him. He didn't faze. He wrapped his warm hands around her small ones and gently pulled it off. (Y/N) reluctantly let him, slowly feeling the cool grass spread under her feet. When both were planted firmly on the ground, she wiggled her toes, remembering the feeling. Then a laugh escaped her lips.

Just smell the grass, the dirt, just like I'd dreamed they'd be. Just feel that summer breeze, the way it's calling me. For like the first time ever, I'm completely free.

(Y/N) fell to her knees and rolled in the grass. A gust of wind picked up, blowing some of the dandelion seeds into the air, making her run after it. Then she gasped, cool water surrounding her feet and the feel of smooth pebbles tickling her soles. Then she realized the exit was right there. Laughing in delight, she began running to the tunnel.

"Hey! (Y/N)!" Tadashi called. "Wait up!"

Mochi sprinted after his owner.

She didn't give a care. Her heart was pounding in her chest in excitement. Finally, she pushed through the curtain of ivy and the green forest stood in front of her.

"I can't believe it," she said for the billionth time when Tadashi finally emerged from the tunnel. "I can't. I can't believe it. I can't even."

"Rainbow, it's like you've never seen trees before," Tadashi commented.

(Y/N) promptly ignored him and began running in circles.

Tadashi observed the girl, getting a sinking feeling that she really hasn't left the tower.