1: Cub

ONLY READ THIS IF YOU'RE ON WATTPAD. IF YOU'RE NOT, LEAVE THE SITE YOU'RE ON IMMEDIATELY. THIS BOOK - AND PROBABLY MANY OTHERS ON THE SITE - HAVE BEEN STOLEN. IF YOU WANT TO FIND THE CORRECT VERSION OF THIS, GO TO WATTPAD AND SEARCH FOR IT THERE.

ALSO THIS BOOK IS A SEQUEL TO CORRUPTED

READ THAT FIRST TO AVOID CONFUSION AND SPOILERS

Chapters 1-10 are planned

The angst is ready to be read

Let's go

Gone.

Pix heard the screams too late. Arrived too late. Told everyone too late.

Now Scar's been taken by the sculk.

And we don't know how to get him back.

I fight a scream, or sob, or anything as I take in all that's left. Clawmarks across the floor. Cracks in the wall. Choking silence as me, Pix and Grian stand there, unable to do anything.

Scar's gone. 

'I... I tried...' Pix mutters. 'I heard him from outside and I tried to get in fast enough... the door wouldn't budge...'

'We don't blame you.' Grian replies, just as quiet. I nod, still unable to speak.

'If I'd been quicker...'

'Pix it's ok...'

Fireworks.

I turn, seeing Bdubs sprinting over, pushing past us and freezing.

'He's gone.'

'Yeah.' I can't help myself. Tears blur my vision. 'Yeah, I noticed.' 

'Cub...? Are you ok?'

'Of COURSE NOT!' I turn on Grian too. Immediately he backs behind Bdubs, terrified. I have to pause to calm down enough to not shout and scare him again. 'The sculk took Scar!'

'I'm sorry.' He mumbles. I immediately regret my outburst. I should've know Grian's still jumpy around me after what I did when possessed.

'Cub, it's alright to be upset.' Pix fails to placate me by saying. I glare back, silencing him. Regret fills me, I feel everyone's eyes on me, the fear, the memories, maybe concern. I can't take it.

'I... I need to go.' I mutter, trying not to rush as I walk out, taking to the air and getting as far away as fast as I can.

I realise as I enter how long it's been since I've been in my starter base. All my time after the sculk has been spent around Scarland, trying to help anyone I can. Especially Grian. The sculk-memories of him are the worst, and if I can help fix what I did... the damage to his wings... I might start to get over it.

There's a quiet place where I sit at the edge of the water, failing to fight the urge to cry. I can't convince myself Scar will be ok, he'll get away from the sculk, he'll return to the server soon enough with just a few more scars and his normal cheerful nature. He won't. If he couldn't fight it here, he can't fight it there. A glance into the water, my reflection staring back at me, red eyed and scared. And beyond...

Sculk.

There's sculk in the water.

There's sculk there.

It's- It's going to get me again.

I can't breathe, backing away before it gets me. I still can't breathe. I feel the sculk trapping me again. Choking me. I try to get my lungs to work, do anything, but all I can think is SCULK. The terror. Entering Xisuma's base. Trapped there with him. Hurting hermits. Scar. Grian- I hear his scream. I'm still not breathing. I need help. I need help NOW.

cubfan135: SNRATER BASE HELP

cubfan135: PELASE 

'Cub! What's going on?' I don't know how many minutes of later that I hear Jevin's voice, but it can't be many. I try to reply, but can't, still hyperventilating, shaking, basically crying. He's at my side in seconds.

'Woah, ok man, breathe... breathe in...' I try, managing somewhat. 'Hold... and then out. In, hold, and then out.' 6 or 7 breaths later I'm breathing normally again. 'What happened? Did the sculk try and get you?' 

I shake my head.

'I... I thought it was. There- there was sculk in the water and I panicked. I'm sorry. Thank you.'

'It's ok... You have nothing to be sorry about, man. You got scared, and you needed help... good job I wasn't too far away.'

'I couldn't breathe. It felt like it was strangling me...'

'Do you... want a hug?'

I nod. Jevin hugs me and I hug back, staring into the harmless water over his shoulder. There was nothing to afraid of. Nothing's going on. And I still got paranoid. After a moment, I push out of the hug, sitting silent by the waterside. Jevin speaks again.

'I heard about Scar.'

'Who hasn't?'

'Grian wanted a server meeting to discuss everything, but we realised you... wouldn't be ready for that yet.'

'No... I... I got upset at the others earlier. Lashed out. I don't want that to happen again. I know it scared Grian...' His terrified expression brands itself in my mind again. 

'Take all the time you need, man...' He glances down at where I've subconsciously started fiddling with my broken vex necklace. The blue crystal's sharp, the slight pain holding the edges soothing, string broken, power gone. Me and Scar were planning to head to the Vex Lands and get the vex's help.

Now Scar's gone.

And I'm scared to go alone.

'Is it... still broken?'

'Only magic can fix it. And... hopefully bring back my magic as well.' Jevin's expression grows concerned. Only Scar knew my magic hadn't returned yet, and know I've been worried as Grian's and Tango's has. But I was possessed for longer... right? Like they had less recovery time, or less time until they remembered stuff. 

'You should get it checked out. By... magic vex leader people.'

'It's fine... I can wait a bit.'

'No, this is important, man. You can't fight the sculk without magic... it's the only thing that works.'

'When Scar's back. He'll... come back.' I don't believe myself 'We'll save him.'

'Grian's already preparing to go. All we need is for Pix and Joe to figure out how to get there and we can save everyone we lost.'

'Not everyone.' Skizz, Zedaph and Xisuma's faces rise in mind. Jevin sighs.

'No... but everyone the sculk took from us. Ren... Pearl... Scar.'

'Yeah.' I stare down into the water, unable to fight the images in my head of Scar possessed by sculk... the black marks up his arms were bad enough, and him returning from the fight badly hurt. And if it don't possess him, it'll trap him and question him until he's as traumatised and paranoid as me and Grian. My emotions well up again, as much as I try to fight them down in front of Jevin. It doesn't work. All I can see is Scar, the best friend who was willing to sacrifice everything for me, hurt and scared and possessed and trapped by sculk. The world blurs around me and I start to sob. Jevin puts an arm around my shoulder.

'It's ok, man. Everything will be ok.' It doesn't help, I continue crying, longing for Scar to be here, safe, for Jevin to be right and everything to be ok. Instead we've been severed from each other, from my magic, and from the hope that Hermitcraft will ever be ok again.

This took a while to write, but gave me plenty of time for planning the incoming angst storm

:)