6: Scar

This has taken far, far too long to write. I ended up scrapping my previous chapter idea 300 words in after being distracted by my more wholesome books.

But this is very, very angsty to make up for it 

Tw: Imprisonment, torture, death... it's a sculk-pain chapter, what else?

I don't know what the worst part of this hell is.

The endless pain from Pearl, the endless lies of the Sculk or the endless isolation and silence of being left alone with no distraction from the fear, the dark, the sculk tight around me, the painful bleeding scars left by Pearl's visits or the longing for Cub, Grian, Bdubs, all my other friends and hermits and the freedom rescue would bring.

Until something else happens.

Something else that beats all of it by landslide.

Time's passed so slowly it feels like I've been here for eternity. There's no one except Pearl and the Sculk, neither of whom I trust to tell me an accurate measurement of days, hours... I wouldn't be surprised if it was years. I sit, still trapped, alone and failing to ignore the pain of Pearl's last visit, as always.

A scream.

A thud.

A moment of confused silence before a furious growl from Pearl.

'You're not the one I wanted.'

'Please- please this isn't happening... this can't be happening... send me back... please... don't hurt me- Pearl please... you're not like this. It- it's the sculk. Please don't hurt me...'

Mumbo.

'SILENCE!' Another scream, the scuffle of struggle. The sculk blocking my exit ripples, letting Pearl through, holding up Mumbo by his hair with a sculk knife against his neck.

'Does he have magic?'

'No- no... I don't have magic.' Squeaks Mumbo. 'I've done nothing wrong...' He falls silent as the knife digs deeper into his neck.

'I want Scar to tell me. Does this idiot have magic?'

'I don't know.' I lie. 'He might... But if he does he doesn't use it much.'

Stop lying Scar. You know he doesn't have magic. The Sculk hisses, tightening.

'Wh- Why ask if you know?!'

'It was a test. And you failed.' Pearl shoves Mumbo to the ground. I watch him try and scramble away towards me, thoughts of glorious escape and victory filling my mind for a moment. Then the sculk pins Mumbo to the ground. And he can't escape. Neither of us can.

If we possess you, somewhat, this will help you, Scar. Not enough to forget, of course. But just enough for you know know some of our powers.

'Possess...?' Black spots cross as the sculk tightens around my neck, beyond what it's done previous. I can't breathe, but slowly sense it more, constantly everywhere, stretching far away. I understand it more, but not enough to believe or trust it. I hear distant yells through the sculk. Hermits. Safety. Through the portal to Hermitcraft Mumbo was dragged through sculk still crosses to the other side is.

'...only started helping when YOUR best friends were taken!'

'Of COURSE that's not true! There was nothing I could do! You know I've been recovering, you know I've been helping as much as I can!'

'And Pix has abandoned us completely, Cub randomly disappears to another world without telling anyone.'

'Pix has been WORKING, Doc! He's done more than you! And Cub's been...'

This will be sufficient.

The Sculk's voice in my head drags me back to reality before I know what my friend's been doing. I can't control the tendrils tangling tight around me, as much as I try for a hopeful moment. Mumbo still lies on the ground, eyes wide with terror.

'S... Scar? Your... Your eyes... They're glowing...'

You've read about me and my powers. I hear a quiet glee in the Sculk's thoughts that scares me more than its normal calm. You know that souls help the spread, as most do. But did you know they also heal injuries.

I try to figure out what it means, why that matters. Pearl grins, explaining for me.

'We can do whatever we want.' A sculk knife creeps into her hand. 'Because it doesn't matter how close we get to killing you. We can just murder the other one, and you'll be alright again.'

'Scar- Scar please. Don't let it kill me... Use your magic to get out. Do anything. Please.'

'I can't do anything.' I whisper back. Mumbo's desperation turns to horror I can only hide with the tears blurring my vision. 'I can't stop it...' Pearl grins at the idea of getting to hurt me again, approaching, the knife shifting into a larger, sharper weapon.

'So tell us how to get to the Vexling world.'

I don't know who of me and Mumbo cry more. I lie as much as I dare, knowing if they get what they want, the sculk will be unstoppable. Everything hurts when the questions finally stop. Beaten. Bleeding. Broken. I feel like I'm dying. Part of me wants to, but persisting hope of rescue overrides it. Besides, they'll kill Mumbo and 'save' me before I get the chance.

You had every chance to cooperate, Scar. The Sculk reminds me, wiping tears or blood from my cheek, pretending it cares.

'I... I told you everything...' I barely mumble. Even breathing hurts; at least one of my ribs is broken.

'You've been very helpful... Eventually.' Pearl smiles what would be a smile of reassurance if she wasn't covered in blood and holding a giant sculk axe. 'And as a reward, we will completely heal you. Well, we won't.' I close my eyes tight as she raises the blade above Mumbo. 'But your friend will.'

Not seeing doesn't matter. The half-possession making this new form of torture possible means can still sense the sculk enough to know it takes 3 blows for Mumbo's screams to silence. I can't hide my fear, breaking into terrified sobs, even as my injuries sooth and start to heal. In my mind, Mumbo's still screaming, dying. Another friend. Innocent, and lying dead in front me. Some part wonders what this would be like if the expected target had been abducted... I have to open my eyes, unable to look away from where Mumbo lies, dead and bleeding on the ground, sculk still tangled around his arms and legs.

We'll leave him here. The sculk decides. It would be fun to hear your 'friends' reaction if they actually rescue you at some point.

Pearl leaves, the Sculk's voice with it, and I'm left there, sobbing for freedom that seems more and more unlikely with every passing eternity.

:)