17: Grian

I have a lot to think about. And the best time to do it is when Doc, Stress and Iskall are trying to heal my back to the level when they can reasonably consider equipping my fake wing. Ren, saved, Scar still with the sculk, Gem and Mumbo...

I don't think about them. I focus on the fact we saved Ren. Ren's safe, Ren's happy. In that regard we succeeded. Though, I can't fight the feeling we traded Gem's life for Ren's. And if 3 of us were bested that easily by Pearl, our mission to save Scar will be harder than we first thought. 

'Does this hurt?' Stress asks for the 50th time, dabbing some healing potion I refuse to say stings and doesn't do much else. I lie, shaking my head, clenching my hands ever tighter, nails digging into my palm. Stress doesn't continue,

'Grian, you don't have to lie.' Iskall crouches next to me.

'If I tell the truth, you stop. It's better this way.' I mutter through gritted teeth. 'We need to get this done. Sooner we finish, sooner I can fly, sooner we can save Pearl, Scar and Mum...'

Iskall's hand is on my shoulder even before I feel the urge to cry. We've just got Pearl and Scar to rescue now. Ren's been rescued and...

'Come on.' Iskall hugs me and I bury my head in his shoulder. I don't tell him it's uncomfortable. He's trying his best to keep clear of my injuries. He's comforting me as much as he can. 'Let's continue later.'

'No... no We continue now. I'm fine.' I insist, muffled by the hug. 'I'm not waiting for progress that isn't going to come.'

'Grian...'

'I'm not waiting for progress that isn't going to come!' I repeat, pushing free to be heard properly. Stress doesn't do anything. 'Stress, just keep going. It's going to hurt whatever you do.'

'Hey...' 

Cub.

I look up to see him standing in the doorway, not looking at us, holding a shulker box. I don't need to be Scar to know he's not slept or eaten properly for days - hair a mess, eyes dark with shadow, the labcoat that once fitted him now hangs awkwardly large. The Sculk's possession and Scar being taken ruined his mental health. Gem's death destroyed it.

'What do you want?' Doc growls. 'You do remember the last time you tried to intervene.'

Cub steps back, almost wincing at the memory.

'I'm sorry... I just... I couldn't help but overhear you talking. I don't know what you're using but I've got some healing potions. That I invented. They work on magic injuries. Well... they work against the Vex. And some potions to numb pain.'

None of us reply.

'I'm sorry, I just wanted to bring it up.' He walks away, hurried.

'Wait.'

Everyone's looks at me as I speak. Cub's footsteps stop. 

'Grian?' 

'I'm happy to try the potions,' I clarify. The part that remembers what the Sculk made him do screams at me. But the rest remembers the Land of Souls.

He saved my life.

'You... are?'

'Yeah.' Cub reappears, leaving the box of potions in the doorway before turning to leave again.

'If you want to stay, you can. Scar told me you were good with handling magical injuries.'

'Grian are you sure this...'

'Doc, I'm sure. It's my fault I can't get over this, not his. I'm not letting him keep feeling bad about himself because of what I can't handle.' Because, as I speak, I know that's the real problem. Gem's death, to him, was his fault. He doesn't think he's done enough for Scar. The last thing he needs is me blaming him for something that isn't his fault.

'Thanks.' A small smile. 'But I...'

'Cub, I insist. Unless you feel uncomfortable, stay. You saved me.'

'I don't know how well any of my stuff will work on Sculk, but painkillers shouldn't be too bad.' I accept the potion bottle he hands me. The effect, upon drinking, is instantaneous, my injuries numbing and soothing even more than I expected.

'Did that...'

'Yeah. Yeah, thanks so much, Cub.'

'No problem.' I hear the surprise in his voice. From then, with Cub's assistance and perhaps slightly worrying knowledge of injuries, healing work quickens. It's only a day or so of healing that does far more than the previous week of slow progress that we all agree to start the real bit.

The operation. 

The decision to sedate me is unanimous. Again, it's Cub's sleeping potion I opt to use. The Sculk tower has been completely off-limits, technically since Scar was taken and properly since Pix's corruption was discovered. Anything useful in there is unreachable, and the rest of Cub's potions have been incredibly effective.

I feel the effects immediately, slipping slowly into soothing darkness. Cub's insistence to let Doc and Iskall and their experience with prosthetics control the operation washes into nothing and I sink into unconsciousness.

'Good morning, Grian.' 

Bright light greets me as I wake. I have to squint, groaning.

'What time is it...?'

'You've been out for a day, love. The amputation's done.' Stress's smile comes into view as I try to use my eyes.

'It's- I have wings?'

'2 wings again.' Iskall confirms behind. 'If it all worked as intended, you should be able to...'

I glance at the shadows below my bed, the two shapes behind my back... all I feel is an ignorable pain. But I see 2 wings opening, before it all blurs to tears.

'Thank you,' I choke out. 'Thank you... oh my goodness... I...' I start crying. Properly crying as I realise the flight I didn't realise I'd miss as much as I do is back. I'll be able to fly again.

'You'll still need painkillers for the next few weeks as everything heals properly around the mechanics and your body accepts it,' Doc explains, next to Iskall. 'And it'll take a while for you to fly as well as you could before... but other than that...'

'It's perfect.' I don't know if they can even hear the squeak of my voice through the tears. 'Thank you.'

My nerves and excitement barely let me wait the last few days of healing. Aside from function, my new wing looks incredible as well - the same purple as my old wing but completely mechanical. The pain's lessened as well until, as Martyn helps me onto the flight platform constructed, I feel nothing.

'Are you ready?' I nod back, full of adrenaline, staring down from my platform.

I jump off.

My wings spread behind.

And I fly.