8: Pix

(A day after Scar was taken) 

Pix.

I frown at the voice in my mind. For a moment I shake it off as exhaustion before I feel the tendrils wrapping around my leg.

Sculk.

Panic.

'No... no no... How did you get in?!' I drop to the ground, trying to free myself. It's too strong. Another attempt. Nothing.

The same way your friend got out. A pause. The friend it appears no one else cares about.

I stop.

'What?'

Surely if you cared about someone you'd... help them? Are the others helping them?

'It's not like we have space for everyone.'

True. Though I would've expected Cub and Grian to do more.

'They're recovering.'

Obviously.

I fight the suspicion the Sculk wants me to feel, finally tearing the tendrils free. It hangs limp in my hand for a moment, before tangling around my wrist, creating its weird mental connection again. 

Gem isn't recovering. Doc isn't recovering. The sculk continues to speak.

'Shut up, I'm working.'

Forgive my interruption. I'll let you work.

The sculk drops away, leaving me more uneasy than I'd admit.

(A few days later)

'Pix? Joe? Are you in here?'

I turn as Doc enters the tower, taking in the chaos. We've turned from research in books to researching the portal itself, even though it's closed. There's still sculk on this side to try to figure out. Just listening. It hasn't spoken to me since the first time, but I'm uncomfortably aware that it could. 

'Hey, Doc. Doc you want something?'

'Martyn's wondering how long this will take.'

'We're working as hard as we can...'

'I know.' I know Doc's unconvinced. 'I know... it's just... I'm worried. Ren's one of my closest friends on the server. And he's probably dead. Or the Sculk did what it did to Zedaph.'

'Look, we're trying, but we're getting nowhere,' Doc's eyes narrow. 

Maybe if he wants progress he could actually help himself

The Sculk. I try to ignore it.

'Look, Doc. We... I'll be honest, what we really need is more help. So... if you're willing...'

'I'm busy with Grian. His wings. That the Sculk-'

'I know!'

'Then stop it happening to Ren too!' Doc yells back. I fall silent. 

'Get out.' I demand at last. 'I'm not arguing with you any more.' Doc doesn't argue, just walking out and slamming the door behind.

Hypocrite.

'Go away, Sculky.' I return to working. The Sculk doesn't care.

They don't care about this at all, do they? 

'Of course they do.'

If they cared, they would actually help. Or they're not helping you because they just see you as an outsider.