14: Cub

What.

Have.

I.

done?

I stare at Gem as she falls still, unable to breathe as the truth sets in.

I did this. 

'You- you...' I turn to Pearl, smiling, unremorseful about what she's done to one of her best friends. I can't look at Gem. Grian's still not moved.

'I did what I promised. You can leave.'

'No... No you KNOW what I agreed to.' I aim another arrow as silently as I can, out of the vex magic potions me and Scar discovered we could make back in season 6. Part of me doesn't want to do this. The other half knows we need to get out. And that even if she's brought back to normal she'll regret her actions too much to cope. My sword's sheathed at my side, ready to pull out if this fails.

I fire.

Miss, but I'm running forwards anyway, drawing my sword, slashing...

Pain.

Sculk, shoving me to the ground. I scramble away as fast as I can as Pearl approaches, pointing her axe at me. The almost-warden she summoned, even stronger after killing Gem, lumbers behind.

'Don't you even try, Vex.' Pearl growls. 'I will give you a minute to leave. If you're not leaving by then, I revoke my deal.'

I turn to Grian, next to me, just crying. Memories of what I did to him flood back. Memories of the pain I caused...

'Grian... I know I'm the last person you want to talk to, but we need to go.' I murmur as softly as I can. No reply. 'I won't let anything hurt you, but we need to go... Grian please.'

A glance over, eyes wide, full of almost animalistic terror.

'Do it for Scar. If we get up now, we can stay safe and... We can back for Scar later. I promise.' Part of me longs to run past Pearl and not stop running until I'm with Scar again. The rest knows Pearl would take Grian's life too.

'Scar...?'

'If I put an arm around your shoulder to help you stand, will it be ok?'

A nod.

I help Grian stand, but have to step away if I want to bring back Gem with us. He stays balanced, watching me lift and carry her.

'Come on.'

We return to the portal. The whole time I'm wary of the scratches down Grian's back... They're not bleeding too much, are they? The paleness is just fear... We reach the portal. Grian heads through.

'Scar, I'll be back. I promise.' I murmur, before following.

The other side is chaos. Shouting hermits. Iskall's with the collapsed Grian, yelling for potions. Jevin and Hypno are next to me in seconds.

'Are you alright, man? Wait- is...'

Jevin stops, seeing Gem. As Hypno takes her from me, laying her down, pure grief and guilt and pain washes over me. I sink to the ground, sobbing. Hypno mutters something. All I hear is 'dead'.

'I TOLD you they needed help!' comes the distance scream of Martyn. I hear Jimmy trying to console him, until news of Mumbo and Gem spreads. The room falls to near silence.

'It's all my fault...' I mumble through the tears. Jevin and Hypno stay next to me. 'It's- it's all my fault...'

'Cub, it's ok.'

'No- no it's...'

Another thought.

Someone needs to tell Impulse.