32: Scar

:)

I hit the ground. 

There's a yell. A thud of someone else landing. I glance up.

Cub.

Lying there, on his side, blood trickling past his hands from his side. In pain. Agony. 

And looking right at me. 

'Scar...' Pleading. I don't move. 

He pushed me out the way. He took the blow for me.

He sacrificed himself for me.

Remember what he did to you, Scar. The sculk whispers, hugging me closer. Remember how long it took him, how much pain you were in... remember what he told you. 

'You said 'Scar is the worst person I know'

'How do you know that?'

'Scar...' he shifts closer, as much as he can. 'I- I know you don't want to listen to me. I know you- you're still hurt from what I said... I know it's just that one thing... I promise you Scar, I said it about Badtimes and I know you don't believe me and that's- that's... fine.' It's not. 'But... I- I also know there's part of you that- I hope there's still part of you that remembers... that understands...' He stops, struggling for the right words. 'I love you, Scar. I'll always love you...' another pause. Cub winces as the pain of whatever hit him increases, or he moves something wrong. Again, he doesn't know what to say. 'Hey... Scar I- do you remember trapping me in that prison?'

I nod.

'You spoke to me. You didn't know if I'd hear but... you spoke to me. And I never managed to thank you for it before. But you knew how much I needed it. I never did that for you. I- I could never... I didn't think to... I'm sorry, Scar. I'm so sorry. I wish I... I wish you could understand how much you matter to me, Scar. How much you've always mattered. You're the most important thing in my life. You're matter more than my own life, Scar. Just... just please... forgive me.'

You can just kill him if you want end his suffering. the Sculk tells me. Stop him talking to you.

'Scar, please, man... I'm sorry.' Cub whispers. He tries moving closer again. 'Remember all we've been through... Season 5 and 6... all we've- ow- faced... the Vex... remember stargazing... remember the stars, Scar? The- the meanie bear constellation... cassiobobola... the hOtGuy. Remember how you'd always bake me cakes if I even blinked in a way that made you think I was unhappy... remember me being your Enforcer in Season 7. Oh, remember commentating on the Civil War, seeing who'd get second place...' Cub laughs, but breaks down in violent coughing, curling up even tighter. Tears run down his cheeks, but a genuine smile still crosses his face. He can't stop smiling. Thinking about me. Thinking about what we did together.

The Sculk forces a knife into my hand. 

He's in pain, Scar. If you really care or still somehow believe him, end it. You don't want to go back to Hermitcraft. Where they don't care about you.

'Scar, Scar... buddy... Remember Concorp, and Captain Jack... remember how you comforted me after Demise, when the Vex took over for ages and I was so scared.' Cub tries to get my attention again. 'But- but you helped me through. You'll always help me through. I- I only escaped the prison just now because of you, I need you Scar. I'm nothing without you. I- I'm sorry I didn't come quicker. I'm sorry I couldn't figure out how to get through. You're- you"re my everything, Scar. You're the only reason I chose to continue after Season 4. Even before the Vex did... whatever they stopped us remembering. I didn't want to reset back to nothing, and have to redo all that progress. I wanted to leave and return to my own single player and then I realised how much I'd miss the other Hermits. I realised how much I'd miss having you being my neighbour, just across the dam from me in your base far better than mine would've ever been... remember... remember...' He starts coughing again. Blood covers the ground next to him, but he's still hanging on, somehow, desperately trying to stem the bleeding with his arms. 

If I went over I could save him. 

I've kept you alive, Scar. the Sculk tells me. I'm not just here to comfort you, and talk to you. I'm keeping you alive. You'll DIE without me.

But it's not saying it to make it seem better.

It's threatening me.

If I believe Cub. If I go over and I save Cub... the Sculk will stop covering my injuries. 

It'll kill me. 

'Scar?' 

He's seen. Cub's seen the indecision in my eyes. Cub recognises my indecision. 

'You- you don't have to chose me. Let me die and...' But he just starts crying because we both know he can't live with the guilt of me hating him any longer.

 Emotion stabs me. Sudden. Raw. Burning emotion. Realisation. Truth.

Cub's my best friend.

Scar don't do this. He doesn't care about you. You'll DIE. He knows you'll die.

'I don't care.'

I leave the Sculk.

'Cub...' I reach him as fast as I can. 'Cub... it's- I'm sorry. I forgive you.' 

'Scar...' He starts crying again, but now from pure joy, crying and laughing.

And dying. 

'No- no no no... H- Hang on, Cub.' I cover the injury with my hands, resting mine over his and holding them tight. It's enough... surely... surely it's enough... at least until we get back to Hermitcraft... the fighting ends.

But then he sees my injuries.

'Scar...' his voice turns to panic. 'Scar, no... Scar I... I can...'

The necklace. 

My necklace. Still held in his bloody hands. The same hands that are stopping him from dying. I hold them tighter.

'No.'

'I'll die whatever, Scar...' he whispers. 'It's- it's the only way...'

'Cub, don't you dare. Cub... no- no I've only just... I've just- after- after so long Cub don't Cub DON'T YOU DARE!'

I can't fight him, screaming, as he moves his shaking hands away from the gaping wound in his side, and raise them and the necklace in them over my head. Cub smiles, tears shining in his eyes, as he rests it around my neck. He tries to wipe away my tears as I sob, trying to cover the injury, keep us both alive.

'I love you, Scar.'

And he dies.

:)