34: Badtimes

MaybeifIwritechapter34firstchapter33willfeelmorerighttomeIDK-

Never mind! Chapter 33's finished before I even started writing this one.

The penultimate one.

:)

Impulse is last through the portal. 

Not Pearl.

Impulse.

Which means she's dead.

The rest of the server are gathered in the massively expanded exit-room, watching as the Sculk around the portal burns and it shrinks to nothing. I look around the room.

3 of the beds are taken. Beef's on one, with Etho, Bdubs and Doc on the edge of the one next to it. Scar's on another. Unconscious. I feel a stab of emotion, relief that's he's safe. But from the fact only Grian's sat next to Scar, I know Cub didn't make it. And I can already see the grief he'll be going through from the moment he wakes, sitting next to Grian on the ground next to him.

'What happened?' Grian glances at me, as though surprised by my concern.

'A... lot. Cub convinced him the Sculk was bad but...'

'Wait, wasn't Cub imprisoned.'

'He got out. I don't know how... But he did it for Scar... He- he got out for Scar.'

From prior experience with the weak nerdy hermits, I, to my surprise, realise that he's about to cry. But even more surprising?

I hug him.

'It's s*** to lose someone, G.' I murmur. The side of me that's been a Helsmit since it began vomits at my show of affection, hugging another player. The rest of me doesn't care. 'I know how you feel.'

He starts sobbing. I keep hugging him, and I don't hate it. Around the rest of the room, Jimmy questioning the silent Littled*** about something, False and Wels are silent, just occasionally glancing at each other. EX is sat against the wall, staring, lost, at the ground. Stress is helping Beef. From here I can see the bandages covering his shoulders and neck. Impulse is crying in Tango's arms, Iskall and Pix are comforting the crying Keralis. 

It's then that Hypno and Jevin enter the room, and I realise we left them in the Land of Souls spreading TNT. Relief and guilt flood me equally.

'What happened?!' Hypno questions. We all look over at him as he realises mood of the room, falling silent Jevin stays standing, taking in everything, everyone and...

'Cub...'

I shake my head. Jevin sides to the ground, Hypno comforting him. No one speaks for a while.

'So... it's over.'

We all turn to Pix.

'Over?' Tango asks.

'The Sculk's... gone?'

We turn to the portal, just a crack in the wall. A few nods and affirmative murmurs. The Sculk is gone. The struggles are over.

'What happened to the Crack?' I'm next to speak. Jevin and Hypno exchange a glance.

'The Sculk's gone. But there's still a giant ravine leading to the void left...' Hypno explains. 'We went through it. Turns out it did lead to the Land of Souls...'

'What about the sculk in the shopping district?' Wels asks.

'Burning up as we flew over here.' Jevin explains. Silence again. None of us move, or speak. I still have the miserable Grian I've subjected myself to looking after. In the end, we fall back to our own smaller muttered conversations. I return my focus to the sculk-less portal. Scar's safe, Littled***'s safe...