8. Peace?

After I Ubered there, I walked through the door of Redbull Racing. But this time I wasn't greeted by Christians assistant, but by him.

"Today is the day Kiddo!" He seemed just as excited as I was.

"I'm really honored to be here honestly." This felt so surreal, this was one of my few dreams considering my racing career. I just wish everything else was as perfect as this moment felt. But everything aside from this contract was a total mess, my dad tried calling me at least twenty times and I've started considering just answering to tell him to leave me alone.

I was so lost in thought that when Horner spoke I was slightly startled, "Why don't we get right to it then? Follow me and we'll make it official."

I walked behind him to the conference room I had been in yesterday. Max had been sitting on a sofa near it and when his eyes met mine I felt angry, and sad in a way. He was supposed to be my future teammate and now he had lied to me. All he was met with was a glare.

I sat at the large table and the contract was in front of me. It took forever to read through it all, but when I was finished I felt relieved. This was my new home and this team was my new family, unfortunately even Max.

Christian once again told me to follow him and when I walked into the room I was greeted with an amazing welcome party. I was sprayed by champagne from left and right as soon as I entered and when I looked to see who was holding the bottles my eyes found on my left Tony and on my right Lando.

I didn't think he would be here, he congratulated me but he sounded off... Tony did the same but he was thrilled for me. I was so happy and excited for what this could become, but when my eyes met the icy blue ones at the other end of the room those feelings were replaced by a feeling of dread. I put a smile back on my face and turned to Lando, he kissed me and then got me a drink.

We partied even though everyone knew we somehow had to start with practice tomorrow. I tried to stick to small talk with Tony and I just fully avoided Max at this point. When the night was over me and Lando drunkenly walked outside and he ordered an Uber home. But when we got to the front I was stunned..

My dad was sitting in his car waiting for me, when he saw me he told me to get in the car and that we 'needed to talk'. I looked at Lando and he just nodded. "Okay" I said to my father, I kissed him goodbye and did what my dad said.

The first five minutes of the drive was really quiet, almost exactly like the previous day. Then my dad spoke, "Dovey, I'm sorry for saying that Lando had asked me to speak to you... It wasn't true. I just didn't want you to jeopardize your relationship by going to a racing team where you maybe wouldn't even accomplish your dreams. Where you'll be a second driver.."

"My dreams..." I said under my breath. My dad looked perplexed. "It was never my dreams dad, it has always been yours, if I was following my dreams, I would be a engineer. If it were my dreams I would be in control of how the car is and not how it's driven and like you took over my dreams you tried to take over my choices of what I'm doing with the career I currently have.. and using Lando as an excuse...That's a new low dad."

It looked like the words pained him. "Does he make you happy? You know Lando?"

"Where is this coming from? I am, I am happy and content and dad why did you lie?"

"Do you love him dovey?"

The question stunned me for a moment I haven't actually told Lando I loved him. I wasn't even sure if I did, I mean I was comfortable with him. I was perfectly content, but when I thought about how my mum and dad were when I was growing up, I couldn't see that in our relationship. My dad lately rarely spoke of my mum, but the way he used to talk about her would make him light up, and I guess I've never experienced that with Lando.

"Dad I-" I paused and his face had a sad expression. "I-" it's like I couldn't find the words.

"Oh Dovey..." he sighed. He sounded disappointed. He wanted to tell me something but he just opened his mouth and shut it again. It wasn't the time, I was drunk and a mess so he dropped me off at my hotel and Lando was waiting in our room curious of what my dad said but I was asleep before I could tell him.